Door lock microswitch Guide

ibiza64

Jun 23, 2009
This issue seems to come up every other week in the MK4 section and because I have some pictures from when I fixed mine, thought I`d do a guide.

Usual disclaimer: This is for information only, I accept no responsibility if you hurt yourself/someone else/your car/ someone else's car/your wallet/any animals etc.

Ok then, Symptoms of a failed microswitch are:
"Lights on" buzzer not working when you open the driver`s door (after leaving lights on).
And the car locks itself 30 seconds after unlocking, EVEN if you opened the door.

There are threads on cracked soldered joints on VW forums (same symptoms) but it seems just as common that the button that operates the microswitch wears down to the point where it`s not doing anything.
This button is only plastic and everytime you open the door a metal cam rubs over it to push it down, so eventually it wears away and stops working. This was the fault on mine and I managed to fix it without any expense (although it took me the best part of a day to do).
The main part of it is that you need to remove both the plastic outer and metal inner door cards.

So, this is how you get access to the door lock module:

Start by prising the door handle apart as in the pic, the upper part comes away upward and the handle just pulls off toward you, remove the plug under the window switches.

Door1.jpg

There are two philips screws concealed in the handle that need to be removed (see pic2).

You don`t need to remove the chrome handle above it but there is a plug behind it you take off later.

Door2.jpg

Remove the torx screws at the bottom of the door card.

Remove the plastic clips (8 I think) holding the door card on by pulling the card outwards toward you - they will pop out.
The card is sealed in tight to the window seal so hit it upward from the bottom until it comes away at the top.
Once it is free remove the handle cable, the led and mirror plug from the back.

Now for the metal door card:

4.jpg

Plug the window switch back in and open the two black rubber bungs, lower the window until you see the two bolts on the window brackets like this:

3.jpg

Remove both 10mm bolts and tape the window in place with STRONG tape and protect your paint at the top of the door by using a rag. You could remove the glass later but why complicate? Remove the window switch again.

Remove the plugs for the speakers, window motor and led if you have one. The wires will just hang there.
Remove the 11 bolts holding the card on and it should pull away - there is a seal on it.

Remove the plug for the lock module.

Unclip the card from the lock module by pulling it forward (towards the door hinges).

This is easier if you have a facelift car as they don`t have door pins; if your`s does, just be careful you don`t bend it too much at this stage.

Refitting is pretty much reversal of removal but I will say make sure the window engages into its two brackets properly or it could really ruin your day.

Doorbare.jpg

Once the metal card is off you can remove the lock module which is tucked away in the corner of the door, only 2 screws for it but they are 12-point star drive so careful you don`t round them using something else!

At this point it`s personal choice - swap it with a new module or try to fix yours.
This is mine while still fitted (sorry I did`nt take any pics of the actual job once removed!).

lock1.jpg

You can (hopefully) see the white button under the cam, what I did was prise the microswitch off the module and take it apart, then took the button out and turned it 180 degrees, and refitted everything.
The button wears down at an angle, so by turning it round it gives the cam a fresh profile to push on... it should last for a bit anyway! :shrug:

New modules are expensive, but you could try a second-hand module off ebay, I`ve seen them for about £30, make sure it`s off a newer car though, as there should be more material left on the button... if you had a newer button AND turned it round it should last even longer.
Oh, and test your fix BEFORE you fully re-fit the door cards... just in case you need to get in there again!

Hope this helps someone anyway!

Cheers,
Neil.

Can someone just explain the part about moving/taping the window. I'm fine with everything else but i'm confused/worried about the part when i have to lower the window until i see the two bolts, then undo them. What does undoing the bolts do?

Sorry if that sounds stupid but want to get it straight in my head first! Cheers!

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Can someone just explain the part about moving/taping the window. I'm fine with everything else but i'm confused/worried about the part when i have to lower the window until i see the two bolts, then undo them. What does undoing the bolts do?
Undoing the bolts releases the glass from the lifting mechanism. The bolts clamp the glass.

Basically you lower the window until you can see the bolts through the access holes. You undo the bolts until the glass can move and then lift the glass up in the frame and secure it at the top using strong adhesive tape stuck to one side of the glass, over the top on the door and onto the other side of the glass. Make sure it is held securely. This allows you to withdraw the carrier, winding mechanism and lock as a unit when everything is free.

When the carrier is back in place you can lower the glass into the clamps and tighten the bolts again.

I hope this helps.

Spiti89

Hi,

I tried to get to the microswitch but I could not remove the metal cover.
I removed those 11 bolts, those 2 bolts under the window and those 2 bolts from the sidewise(12-point star). However, the metal cover was hanging of something.
Did I do something wrong? Do I need to remove the plastic tab from the door handle like on Vw Golf?

Thanks.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Hi,

I tried to get to the microswitch but I could not remove the metal cover.
I removed those 11 bolts, those 2 bolts under the window and those 2 bolts from the sidewise(12-point star). However, the metal cover was hanging of something.
Did I do something wrong? Do I need to remove the plastic tab from the door handle like on Vw Golf?

Thanks.
The workshop manual tells you to remove the lock barrel and exterior door handle first. Did you do that?

MR T

Jul 10, 2004
BOONDOCKS
Hi guys bit of advice please. Here is the background my door would do the usual thing lock itself after it was unlocked no light buzzer interior light staying on etc. So i bought a second hand latch which was tested and guaranteed. Now the problem is that the door will only lock with the key in the barrel all the other doors work fine either on the remote key or the interior switch and the flashing red light comes on the drivers door when is locked. have i done it wrong i followed the guide and pretty sure everything is connected up. Or is it a duff unit?
Opinions please as i don't want to get into a ruck with the supplier and look an arse

renault9turbo

Very good guide, should get off my ass and have a go but have 2 to do and like others think you just get used to it relocking and alarming when u get in it lol

Marler

Just replaced my drivers door mechanism with a new one, now the door locks then unlocks if you press the lock button on the key twice. Then when you lock it from the inside with the interior lock all others door lock and drivers door stays unlocked. Any ideas? Tried resetting the battery on the car and did nothing.

Only thing I recall doing was releasing the small windy metal as show in the image below arp: http://jmparts.webd.pl/Door lock me...lock mechanism GOLF 4 FRONT RIGHT - shop1.jpg

Any ideas? Is it supposed to stay connected to the gold bit as I can't see how it should when it's impossible to move if it stays connected

Mk4

Jul 13, 2015
Sorry to bump an old thread, I'm trying to remove the metal panel on the passenger side and despite all the bolts being removed the metal panel will not budge, it moves closer to the hinges, but by the lock itself is still fixed solid. There appears to be 2 small rivets by the grommet on the lock side of the door. Does anyone know why the panel is stuck?

Boconnor

Oct 7, 2015
Bumping an old thread to see if I can help anyone out.
I had this same issue, with both door locks unfortunately.
Stripped down the drivers door and got the lock out, microswitch on mine was absolutely knackered. No chance of saving it.
I got onto eBay and found a lock. Thought I'd take the chance and order it
http ://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161374920353&alt=web
(space in the http)
EBay item number: 161374920353
So it's £33. 1 year warranty.
Arrived extremely quick, I fitted it the same day. And works an absolute treat, I am seriously impressed.
So I've ordered the passenger one also at a price of £25.

Just a heads up for anyone looking to replace there's.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
Does this switch have anything to do with why my car can take several seconds (or not bother at all) before switching the interior light on and unlocking the doors after I've removed my ignition key?
My interior light always comes on when I open the door but my car does lock itself and reset the alarm if I unlock it and don't get into it after about 30 seconds.

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
Does this switch have anything to do with why my car can take several seconds (or not bother at all) before switching the interior light on and unlocking the doors after I've removed my ignition key?
My interior light always comes on when I open the door but my car does lock itself and reset the alarm if I unlock it and don't get into it after about 30 seconds.

The car will reset the alarm and doors after 30 seconds if no doors have been opened and its supposed to do that , the issue is if it does it even if you have got in.

Get in drom the drivers side and wait for a while and see if the doors lock on you,don't do anything inside like turning the key just sit there :).

another symptom is the lights on buzzer doesnt work .

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.