HIDs - What kind? Tips and Pics inside.

ibizatom

Warrrrp tish
Mar 13, 2010
Kent
4.3k will he brighter. 5k will look white but will have ever slightly reduced output with 6k slightly worse off and 8 worse off than that.

The side lights I have are more 6k in colour temp but actually look ok and not too blue compared to the 4.3k HIDS i have on my car. :)

Gray-IbizaFR

No....

Fitting HID lamps to any headlamp designed for a halogen lamp is illegal. See the link below which explains it.

glad thats cleared up, now to find decent bulbs! cheers!

Tweddle

Jan 17, 2011
North-East
thanx very much mate :), they seem very cheap didnt think you could get a set under £50, they are up for £10 is that about right? sorry to be a pain just im rather new to all of this.

Adam_

Dec 16, 2010
Gloucestershire
Last of all, aligning your headlights.

Beam.jpg

Anyone know what the distances are on the diagram?

Adam_

Dec 16, 2010
Gloucestershire
Another question too, i saw someone put somewhere that you need to have headlamp washers for them to be legal which mine does so does this mean i can make them legal?

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
The distances can be anything, so if your parked 1m away from the wall, then the beam should only drop 1% or 1cm from the centre of the bulb.

The rumour that you've read says that to pass an MOT from Dec 2011 onwards then HIDs must have auto-levelling and headlight washers to be legal. I have yet to see an official book/online statement from VOSA stating this.. All I have seen is that they will try and work with garages to fit it in - Everything else I have seen does NOT mention anything about HIDs, only that headlights must be properly aligned etc.

Adam_

Dec 16, 2010
Gloucestershire
The distances can be anything, so if your parked 1m away from the wall, then the beam should only drop 1% or 1cm from the centre of the bulb.

The rumour that you've read says that to pass an MOT from Dec 2011 onwards then HIDs must have auto-levelling and headlight washers to be legal. I have yet to see an official book/online statement from VOSA stating this.. All I have seen is that they will try and work with garages to fit it in - Everything else I have seen does NOT mention anything about HIDs, only that headlights must be properly aligned etc.

Ok cheers and yeah thats what i thought surely if they fitted correctly with the correct adjustment so that you not blinding other drivers there shouldnt be a problem with it and should be tested as a standard headlight

rory21388

Feb 11, 2011
Scotland
Last of all, aligning your headlights.

To make sure you have the lights pointing in the correct position, both for your safety so you can see, and for others so not to blind them, use this guide to correctly adjust your headlights.

You need to park on a level surface in front of a wall/garage door to align them... Ibiza headlights have an inclination of 1% - meaning the top of the beam should DROP at a rate of 1%.

So if they are aligned properly will they pass an mot? I have heard a lot of talk about only lights with projector lenses passing mots and also talk of them making hids an automatic mot fail? I've got HIDs from my old bmw and all I would need to do is buy a new set of bulbs for them but I dont want to be spending my pennies if they wont pass. Not much room in the engine bay for switching bulbs as you will all know and I couldnt be doing with the hassle of in/out for every mot.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members