1st limp mode in 4 years

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
Hi peeps, hope you've alll had a good cristmas..

Driving along a dual carriageway the other day i was cruising in 5th gear around 70 ish, when i went to accelarate limp mode kicked in, i've scanned it and all i got was the usual glow plug faults which ive had for years and the EGR fault code because its been disconnected.

There wasn't any eml or "new" code that i hadn't seen before and wonder wether the EGR could trigger limp mode?
When i first unplugged the EGR every now and then i used to get eml but this went off after a few seconds of it coming on and never triggered limp mode, i've tried a few times since to go into limp mode but no joy... if you know what i mean...

Thanks

you've probably worked it out already but if not it's the leon cupra tdi ARL..

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
hmmm, im fairly certain that it wont be the unplugged EGR causing the limp. Morel likely sticky vanes, clean the turbo up i would recommend.

It's just touching 170k with the Egr unplugged/not working for around 50k, I cleaned the Egr valve at the when I disconnected it and tbh there wasn't much crud at all.
Only thing I've done in a while is upgraded the Egr to ic hosing to hard pipe,
Just had a thought... Changing the piping has definatly increased boost so maybe that's why I had the limp mode? However I only had it the one time??

Dezeze

Jun 4, 2011
Swindon
Pal, check all the 6/8 mm hosing.
I drove from Yorkshire to Swindon in limp mode, got home, took all the large Samco hose out and found that the ends of the 6/8mm hosing had perished and cracked!
Cut the ends off, re-fitted and voila, no problemo!

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I must admit i did tie back a pipe rubbing the underside of the N75 pipes , been doing it a while but no hole , the pipe i tied back was coming off the engine i think it was the crank case breather, worth a look..

thing is if theses pipes go can you get the individually ? there is a right cluster around the n75/n18 valve area.

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
I've had a similar problem on the Motorway, as I was about to accelerate to join going down the slip road, the engine wouldn't rev over 2k and there was absolutely no boost pressure. Previously had noticed over boost on my gauge, normal acceleration gauge would spike and return to approx 22psi, recently had been boosting all the way off the guage which which tops out at 30psi.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members