2.5 TDI (BDG engine) - anyone know if it's a PD ?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hi all

Does anyone know whether a 2.5 TDI, engine code BDG, is a PD engine or not ?

A colleague at work has an Audi A4 with this engine, it's out of warranty now so is being serviced outside of the dealer network.
Wanted to make sure the independent puts the right oil in :)

Not sure if the 2.5 TDI switched over to using PD injection system or not, and if so, when.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Well, if you took it to Audi they'd use VW504 - 507 5W 30 oil as that's what they recommend now. If you go by what's in the service manual then it could well be 505.00 5w 40. Personally, I always use the newest spec oil (technology moves forward) as I've only got one engine and don't want it to suffer unnecessarily.

What I'm saying is I don't know what the spec is for it, or whether it's on longlife or standard servicing. But given that the difference in price between the lowest spec suitable oil and the highest spec suitable oil is not going to be more than £20 or so, I'd go for the best. :)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
It's on variable service intervals.

When the dealer used to service it, the typical interval was 18k miles (lot of motorway driving).
Since the independent did the last service, the service reminder came on at 7k miles, and looking at the vag-com SRI tool, it's the "Oil quality" flag (set to "1") that's brought the reminder on.

Initially I was concerned that it needed PD oil, and the wrong stuff was used.
But it doesn't sound too dramatic if it's not a PD.

Interesting that the ECU thinks the oil quality has deteriorated sufficiently by 7k though - that's less than a fixed service interval would be....

Time for another oil change with some decent oil I guess.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.