Pastywagon Sprint Dates 2008 - NEW 2009 prep

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
I'm not sure - its pretty bad if even Stu thinks they look gay :D. Black sill will work but maybe the arch is better kiwi. Just to finish off with the arch bending/rolling story - the arch lip is spot welded together into a twin thickness skin - unless you plan to do some welding, the lip shouldn't be cut back as this might separate the 2 skins and potentially weaken the rear chassis - so it has to be bent back as a twin skin. And its really tough in places, especially where the welds are. Cheers to Billo for phone advice when I thought I had bitten off too much :clap:.

2 more big tyres arriving Thurs so ready to rock again - trackday at Oulton park next wed to get used to new gearbox before next sprint.

Arch spats should arrive today - pics later.

Arch with wheel on floor:

arch.jpg

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
arches arrived - they do the job but are going to take some messing about with to fit - the std way to fit them is clip them to the wheel arch lip......which of course has now gone.......and the cover itself is hollow so its not like it can just be stuck onto the panel.....never easy is it.....

arch-1.jpg

arch2.jpg

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
arches arrived - they do the job but are going to take some messing about with to fit - the std way to fit them is clip them to the wheel arch lip......which of course has now gone.......and the cover itself is hollow so its not like it can just be stuck onto the panel.....never easy is it.....

mine were the same mate when I had mine on.. no edges to attach to = blobs of tiger seal and tape/clamps on there until theyre bonded on (which with tiger seal makes em almost impossible to pull off again..

you need a bit of this touch mate
rear-arch-6.jpg

rear-arch-7.jpg

25mm spacers on there, 8x17 rims, et28 and 225-45 rubber on there
rear-arch-8.jpg

bit of primer
primer-2.jpg

bit of bully paint and viola
painted-5.jpg

just need to get jiggy wid da grinda and de welda, innit
bish bash bosh, cutty cutty grindy,weldy,filly,painty
jobs a goodun
:thumbup:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
:clap: glue's the way forward if you ask me.......sniff

I may well go without even painting them, Mk2 golfs are bare plastic black arches and sills and they look sound

5719.jpg

g60.jpg

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Ready to go for next Sat at Aintree, Liverpool (5th Sept):

DSC01310.jpg

DSC01311.jpg

Really looking forward to this one as had a really good shake down test at Oulton Park and feel more together with the new gearbox now

Ave it

Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Aintree Report Sat 5th Sept 2009.

The big question today centered around the weather; was it going to rain, and when? As always, Liverpool Motor Club put on a superb event that always runs like clockwork. We were entered in Class 3B as usual (1400-2000 Modified Production) with the usual 205's (one sponsored by LAD), a Lancia Delta, an XR2, and a very nice looking MG ZR that looked like an ex-factory car and arrived in a big transporter.

The day started dry, but the circuit was wet in places. I fitted the new Mich tyres for P1 and promptly spun at the first corner. A mixture of brand new tyres that were still glossy and the mixed conditions perhaps. Kept the Mich's on for P2 but it was now raining so took it fairly easy 59.73. Very slippy and not the time to be trying to scrub in new tyres. This had me a close second behind the MG who had race wets fitted.

Decided that the weather was probably going to be changeable throughout the day so fitted my trusty Toyo R888s quickly before the timed runs commenced.

T1 was still quite wet, 55.94 (MG 56.83, 205 fitted with slicks 58.23)
T2 a bit drier but still damp, 53.49 (MG 63, 205 54.33)

Lunch. Track was getting dry now but dark clouds were all around so tough call whether to stick the Mich's on or stay with the 888s. Decide on the latter as the track was well slippy and not really a day to get the best out of slicks IMO.

T3, dry but slippy track, 52.44 (MG 55.72, 205 54.13). Tried a couple new lines that seemed to work out well - not far off my best time at Aintree on slicks on a hot sunny day.
T4, as above, 52.41 (MG 54.92, 205 53.86)

So 1st in class at Aintree - RESULT - well chuffed as have never had this before at Aintree, several seconds, but never top spot at this circuit. 52.41, 205 second 53.86 and MG third 54.92.

A very difficult day to go sprinting - very changeable conditions and you dont get time much circuit time to work out where the grip level is.

Pics to follow

Ave it

Rob

Last edited:

westallc

Jan 25, 2009
holy thread revival rob last posted on this thread in 2009 lol

his car has changed alot since this

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.