Going into limp/p1297

Mason17

Aug 14, 2015
Norfolk
Hi guys, I've not long bought a seat Leon cupra 1m auq, at first it was running fine but over the past couple of months it started to feel like it was going into limp at 3500rpm because it felt like it was either over boosting or just dropping out completely and the esp light come on and stay on until you turn the key off and turn it back on. Its really frustrating because you just can't drive it over 3500rpm without it happening, any help would be hugely appreciated. Tia

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate, ideally you need to scan for codes with vcds/vagcom as that often shows extra codes that OBD2 reader won't. That code is a common code on the 1.8T

Here is what rosstech say about it http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17705/P1297/004759 As you can see, it can be a number of things.

I'd start by checking the PCV pipes for leaks, the ones that run under the inlet manifold are often the cause of this code. Check carefully for splits, there is no need to remove the manifold, just unbolt the rusty metal bracket that attaches to the front of it, then look behind there at the pipes for splits.

These are some of the pipes that commonly split, especially the 3 bigger ones on the right of the pic.
bkk_zpsb5lmfudz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
If you do have an OBD2 reader that is capable of reading live data, then have a look at your fuel trims once then engine is up to temp. If you look at both long and short term fuel trim that will give a better idea of any issues.

Last edited:

Mason17

Aug 14, 2015
Norfolk
I've just bought a new silicon hose kit for the breather and vacuum pipes so I will be changing all of them and see whether that helps and if I'm totally honest I don't know what I'm looking for with the fuel trims

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Sorry i should have been more clear mate. The fuel trims (short and long term) will be shown as either a + or a - %. If you can find them on the obd2 reader ( not all of them can do it) or you have "torque" for android,then if you post the longterm % up here it can help to see if you have a you have a boost or vacuum leak etc.

Last edited:

Mason17

Aug 14, 2015
Norfolk
Lovely thank you, I've borrowed my dad's launch so that should hopfully show them

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members