EA189 Service Action

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
Hi, looking around the internet you would think that all EA189 engines that have had the "service action" software update are ticking timebombs, waiting to fail, yet I find very few references to it on this site. Is this because other sites and forums are exaggerating things and blowing them out of proportion or have I just been looking in the wrong places on here?

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
VW reckon they've "fixed" 2/3 of all the affected cars, so that's a lot of cars. I also understand that they are updating the software by default when they service vehicles, so again, that's a lot of vehicles and I'd imagine that also includes quite a few people on here - so I'm just surprised that there is so little mention of it on here when other websites / forums are full of stories of broken EGR valves and injectors, all apparently caused by the update.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
whilst I don't doubt the fix has caused problems (mainly injectors?) there must have been stacks of coincidence problems too the over complicated (modern) egr's don't need much help to fail judging by the one I dismantled believe it or not one reason for failure was "ingress" of broken windscreen glass

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members