Problems with mk1 leon

SeatLeon5548

Dec 21, 2017
Hello I have a couple of issues with my Seat leon Mk 1.9 110 i only recently bought it and I don’t have a driving license yet but need these issues resolved I’m a noob so try summing it down for me lol.

-key fobe not working, new battery hasn’t done any good. Also the door Lock is jammed so I’m unable to lock the car.

-Need new coilovers any recommendations on what ones are best.

-Timing bet has 100k on it l, is it usually a big job to fit or expensive for a mechanic to do.

-After I have remapped it I’m looking for more performance is there anything I can do except exhaust and hybrid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Welcome :)

The fob may not be synced, not hard to do

The door lock mechanism failure is common and can be fitted yourself. Plenty of threads on here to help you and parts are cheap on ebay. If the door still opens, I would do it asap.

The belt isn't too bad - get the water pump done at the same time to save labour costs later

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi there.

I'm also owner of a 1.9 TDi 110 AHF Leon.

As mentioned above the fob maybe needs to be sync with the car. The easy way to do it is with another functional key. If you have another key (even without remote) look for it on the SEARCH bar. If you don't have you will need help from the dealer to get the SKC code of the key so they can duplicate your key.

Coilovers opinions are plenty. Another Search and you will be good to go. Are going to lower the car?

Timing belt was done for 300€ around here (Portugal).

Also remapped and got a plenty woosh for around 140 horse power. Can do a lot more but your clutch and flywheel should be upgraded to keep on with the increase. Another big bill.

Regards.

Last edited:

clag

Dec 28, 2016
I mean this in the best possible way, but if you havent got your license yet you need to learn to drive properly before you start modding the car.

Your lessons will teach you how to pass your test but the real learning starts when you get out on your own.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Make the timing belt (and water pump) your priority. I'm inclined to agree with clag that you should probably get used to your car first before putting more horses under the hood.

Top car by the way. I've got one :D

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Keyfob: check that the battery is making contact - does the red light on the fob come on when you press the buttons? Battery contacts may need re-tensioning.

Coilovers? Eh, the TDI already has a smaller sump clearance, I'd suggest going back to standard for now. Lowering of these Mk.4 Golf-derived cars is only done for cosmetic reasons, it actually makes the handling worse - raises the roll center - it's a consequence of the way the suspension geometry works.

If your timing belt is 100K miles (and probably a lot over 4 years) old, it needs replacing right away, now, before it snaps or loses teeth and you have a catastrophic piston/valve interference event. Really important, do this now. Fitting requires some special tools, and the ability to support the engine, as one of the engine mounts has to be removed. The timing belt also drives the injection pump and the water pump - so you have to make sure the injection timing is not disturbed, as well as the valve timing not being disturbed. It can be done DIY, but you need to know what you're doing. Replace the water pump while you're at it, preferably with a pump with a brass impeller, as the old plastic ones used to disintegrate. Newer plastic impeller pumps may be better.

Remapping: The TDI engine in general remaps well and is good for 150 in standard form with a bigger turbo. However, as a new driver, your insurance premiums will be of Biblical dimensions. If you've got that sort of cash, go buy a TDI 150, or a Mk.2 TDI 170, or - well, you get the picture. Don't be tempted to not declare the mods, you can easily be found out, and bear in mind that if you do have any kind of knock (inevitable in your first year of driving, we've all been there), your insurance will be invalid and it will hurt, a lot.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members