GUIDE: Retro fitting OEM Satnav MFD2/MFD3

zelkoow

Hello!

I have Leon MY 2007 and have installed MFD2 DVD. Everything works, multifunction, original bluetooth, but I have a problem with the clock! MFD2 was from VW car!

1) Is there any possibility how I could fix this? May with some software upgrade or something?

2) Is it possible to change logo from VW to SEAT?

Thanks for any solutions!

ianrob16

I thought the MFD in the dash worked with the MFD2 ? - sounds like it doesn't, same as the MFD3 not working with the MFD.

1. Some forum members have reported that the MY2008 Seat MFD works with the MFD3, so this should be the same for the MFD2, I don't think you can reprogram an older MFD, so only option seems to be to replace the MFD with a newer unit.

2. I can't help you with ths one, although I think somewhere in the forum someone was going to see if this could be done.

Ian.

cliveywolves

hi all...

i am new to this forum bit help would be great please....

just about to buy a Leon FR TFSI June 2007 and i want to retrofit the sat nav unit, MFD2 or MFD3 there are loads on ebay, will all units fit and work ok for me ? ie the VW units or does it have to be a Seat unit.. Also is it as easy as it was when i did in on my Audi A3 it was quite simply plug and play or is it more difficult ????

cheers
clive

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Anyone know the part number for the Seat version MFD2?

Whats the deal with the CD / DVD map discs? one of them dosn't play CDs which one?

Also does the MFD2 have a pre-out for an amplfier?

Also does the AUX in still work with MFD2 fitted?

Last edited:

webhype

Mar 30, 2008
Wakefield
www.8baller.co.uk
Hey, had a good read of this. Looking to fit the MFD3 on a new Cupra. Few quick questions

1. I have blue tooth as standard, will it work ok with mfd3?
2. obviously have steering wheel controls for track skip, volume, answer call etc, will these work?

Thats it lol.

Much appreciated :)

webhype

Mar 30, 2008
Wakefield
www.8baller.co.uk
Hey I ordered the MFD3 RNS-510 Seat version from a dude in spain, says it comes pre-loaded with UK maps etc. Just actually wondering if its gunna come with english words on the buttons?!?!?! lololololol..kinda forgot to ask that....Tried zooming in on some pics and i THINK there english words, but im gunna die if there fooking spanish lolol.

Also, iv currently got the bog standard stereo in my cupra, although its the latest version (08) 3months old so i think im good with the canbus 2.0 things. Was just wondering if i need to do any programming through vag com to get it working, like originally mentioned in your walkthrough dan, the spanish guy says its just plug in and away you go, no codes etc. is it true?

Thats it, unit should arrive weds/thurs!!! :)

blocky

morning, I have a FR550 with the bluetooth pack, will this still work with the MFD 3.

If so will the bluetooth make the installation of the MFD3 harder or easier ?

Thanks

richpaul

Im happy with mine but have some question too.

1. Does anyone know where I can get an FM antenna splitter so that both tuners work on the radio with the one aerial. I am banking that the station list and traffic information will work a lot better with two tuners working?

2. Does anyone know the part numbers for the clips that fasten the fascia on (the surround)?

3. In the secret diagnostic menu in the 'HDD' section, the powerStatus says 'degraded'. What could this mean as it seems to work fine?

4. I have a JL amp and sub, does this affect the power in any way, because when I start the car the sound stutters for a few seconds. I have disabled the power capacitor but no difference?

5. When I first fitted the unit the sound quality was very bassy but in general a lot better quality than the fatory unit, after a few days the sound quality seems to have returned to the crappy blaupunct unit quality that came from the factory. Anyone else notice a quality difference?

Many Thanks.
Rich

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
i have searched but no luck does anybody have a wireing diagram for the hu? im tryin to put my kenwood cd player in mine but wired it up and the fuse blew good job i have a spare one lol any help would be good :)

ianrob16

AUX connector with MFD3 (RNS510)

2. The ground connection for the AUX may be in a differnt place in the MFD rather than your old headunit.
Both should have a picture with the connections on, so compare where the AUX connections are.

This info maybe elsewhere on the forum, but I've sorted out the normal AUX socket (simple plug with plastic cover in the console between the front seats) connection on my MFD3, with the help of NickP, and it seems appropriate to record it on this thread.

On the original Seat CD/Radio the AUX cables (3 off - black earth, white and purple Left & Right feeds - can't remember which was which) were connected to the CD earth/L/R pins at the back of the unit, as identified from the pin out sticker on the back of CD/Radio unit.

For the MFD3 these three cables need to be moved to the respective AUX pins as identified on the pin out sticker on the back of the RNS510. Same blue connector block, just different pins - in fact the black earth pin is already in the correct position as the CD earth on the CD/Radio unit is now the AUX earth on the MFD3. Threrfore only the L & R feeds need to be moved to new pins, so move the L feed to the AUX L pin and the R feed to the AUX R pin, as identified on the RNS510 sticker.

I don't have a diagram of these pin confirgurations, but if you compare the two pin out stickers it will all be clear.

To move the cable pins around in the blue connector block firstly release the blue connector from the main quad block connector then remove the outer blue sleeve by lifting the retaining tab on the side (a fingernail will do the job) and sliding the sleeve away from the black connector block beneath. Then select the cable pin you want to remove from the black block and press down gently (with a small screwdriver or ballpoint pen) on the lower of the two silver recesses at the pin position, and it should just unclip and slide out from the connector block. Move the pin to the new position on the block and slide down until it clicks home securely.

Then reassemble the blue connector and quad lock block and refit to the RNS510. The AUX socket between the seats should now be back to good sound quality at a normal volume level.

Many thanks to NickP for the above. Ian.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I've just received a RNS 510 unit and the DVD case tip on here is sodding brilliant for getting the old unit out. Also, on my 08 plate FR the hole is already at the back of the double din slot at the bottom, so it doesn't look like I'll need to cut anything other than the bit at the front for the SD card.

Anyway, cheers for the guide!

eflora

hi there!

first post :)

i have a leon 2 FR from december 2008. i have bluetooth from factory but not mfd3.
i want to install this one: 1T0 035 680 B

i already heard that there can be some misslaignment in the mfd LCD regarding the time for example.
is it true?

eflora

hi there again, thank you for the reply!

one question more...

can it be for the leon2
1T0 035 680 B
or
1T0 035 680 A

?

thank you!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.