Pastywagon Sprint Dates 2008 - NEW 2009 prep

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Hi

Oh yes, its getting to that time again, the weathers getting warmer and the motorsport season beckons. 2007 was a good year, numerous pots collected and a overall class win the competitive Liverpool and Chester MC Speed Champs. Think I came 7th overall in the end and may have been on for 3rd overall if I had not had my only DNF of the year at the last event (broken driveshaft). These things happen but now back for another season. I am going to run in the same Champs again this year in 3B, Modified Production 1400-2000, but have also joined the Nottingham MC as many of their champs rounds are the same. Benefit of the Nottingham club is that Lotus Elise / Exige and derivatives are not allowed in 3B (quite rightly) whereas they are in Liverpool. So I could score higher for Notts championship by doing the same events !

Seat is well represented at sprints these days with no less than 3 ibiza's turning up last year, mine in modified production and Bob Jones's 16V Mk2 and Gordon Hick's TDI cupra Mk3 ibiza's in road modified.

Winter has seen the Ibiza get new race spec Vibratechnics engine mounts (old ones were worn out and sloppy after 5yrs thrash), rebuilt driveshafts and a rebuilt and slightly modified gearbox. So ready to rock. Cheers to Saul for helping with the box fitting today.

Possible developments through the year include
1. smaller wheels - 15's down from 16's on the front and 13's down from 15's on the back, but same diameter tyre at 21.5" - problem will be getting 8x15's for the front with big brake clearance in ET20ish but are going to look hard, maybe have to bite bullet and get image to make some.....
http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/pages/wheels_billet.html
13's on the back as they are light as a feather and ultra sticky single seater front rubber available. Will keep 16/15 combo for inters and 16/16 for wets as performance road tyres not available in small sizes / big widths
2. maybe new ECU with switchable maps to run E85 fuel - 2 x fuel tanks needed but about time I did something better with fuel system....going to be fun, will have 260hp valver estimated if this comes off
3. electric power steering pump - junk pump operated by engine as the belt keeps coming off at high revs (>8K) - going to take some working out but know a man who has done this already.....
4. better hard ducting for air intake - junk flexy spiral wire type intake ducting for some fibreglass 4" hard piping - have to make this so wont be totally straight forward
5. paint the sills black

etc, should keep me busy LOL

R1 - 26th April, Aintree
Trackday at Aintree in June
R2 - 15th June, Curborough
R3 - 28th June, Aintree
R4/5 - 26/27th July, Loton Park
R6 - 6th Sept, Aintree

At some point there will be a second trackday at Aintree also.

Costs for this are £36 for a MSA non-race national B speed licence, £10 to join Liverpool motor club and £12 to register for the championships. Each event is around £70 to enter. So its as cheap as motorsport gets - it anyone is interested then pop by at any of the above and have a chat

Liverpool MC website
http://www.liverpoolmotorclub.com/download.htm

Speed champs website:
http://www.speedchampionship.com/

Notts sports car club website
http://www.gosprinting.co.uk/

Ave it

Rob

Last edited:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
good days spannering again mate, even if we did forget the 'box brace (thank fook the bolt went back in :) )

will try and make it down to some events this year!

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
should be at Curby, last few days before getting married, although honeymoon consists of Ypres rally IRC challenge + historics end of June, then Le Mans classic
13th July so not all doom & gloom!:)
i reckon i could squeeze in Loton at end of hols as well[B)]

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Game on !

MOT'd yesterday and can now get on with prepping car to sprint spec again.......few mods in mind and details coming soon. Also a shakedown run somewhere before first event in about 4 weeks time

New VT mounts give a lot more cabin vibration than road spec - but thats ok. New gearbox build is fantastic - feels like a completely different box, snick snick snick. Damn this thing rips - forgotton how much - not driven it since sept/oct last year

Very exciting

Ave it

Rob

Last edited:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
glad to hear box is good, not had chance to look for the stuff you aske about, will do so next week

let me know when and where your shakedown run will be

sounds like it could be a good season Rob!

Regarding the elect PAS pump, it's pretty easy to do, just get a PUG 106 Gti pump, but depending on where it's mounted you might need to replace the pumps integral plastic fluid tank with an ali one (if it's in the cabin etc).

I guess you could also turn off the alternator during the short runs, and maybe even go to an electric water pump as well! (just dont use the crappy "craigDavid" one)

ta

Paul.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
sounds like it could be a good season Rob!

Regarding the elect PAS pump, it's pretty easy to do, just get a PUG 106 Gti pump, but depending on where it's mounted you might need to replace the pumps integral plastic fluid tank with an ali one (if it's in the cabin etc).

I guess you could also turn off the alternator during the short runs, and maybe even go to an electric water pump as well! (just dont use the crappy "craigDavid" one)

ta

Paul.

cheers Paul - what water pump would you recommend ? been thinking of doing this - want to remove as many ancillaries from engine as I can as they can be controlled separately then and not overspeed - the water pump will be cavitating I'm sure but not appeared to have a cooling issue as yet (maybe because of short runs / good rad).

Engine driven PAS is a pain - its not exactly rigidly fastened in an oem app and flexes I think as the engine revs rise - leading to belt coming off. But its light and the pump weight is very low in the car.

Found this pic from a spanish ibiza with what I think is the pump you talk about ? any idea what weight they are ?

Picture034.jpg
[/IMG]

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
point 4 started on - some of crappy spiral ducting replaced with thinwall 4" bore ali tube (v.light):

DSC00681.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00683.jpg
[/IMG]

now I have sorted out the pipe run, going to replace the remaining 2 pieces of spiral ducting with smooth bore 4" - the slight kink maybe will work with a samco 'hump' or 'double hump' connector but the 180 degree is quite sharp and will need something making I think

Hard to work with 4" tube - takes up a lot of room - had to move some water pipes to get all this to work as it is

Latest on wheels - ATS germany will supply me direct (finally) so I dont have to go though UK numpties - result - and what I want is in stock......

like these:

post-3-1110996628.jpg

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
will the extra length of pipe have any adverse effect? Just wondered if you put the air filter on the drivers side of centre if that would help?

I'm guessing you designed it the way it is because that won't work.

Wheels look very nice though; super super legerra

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
designed like this for 2 reasons:

1. Not enough room between alternator / headlight and slam panel to mount the large filter
(so I could have got a smaller filter right....actually would have been quite a bit smaller)
2. The pipe run constitutes airbox volume......big airbox volume is a very good thing, especially for a valver - this is 80-90cm long now giving (in theory) a resonant torque boost at about 2500rpm, low down where I need it - mine is ripping by 4K so a bit of a boost low down would be nice

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109243

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
cheers Paul - what water pump would you recommend ? been thinking of doing this - want to remove as many ancillaries from engine as I can as they can be controlled separately then and not overspeed - the water pump will be cavitating I'm sure but not appeared to have a cooling issue as yet (maybe because of short runs / good rad).

Engine driven PAS is a pain - its not exactly rigidly fastened in an oem app and flexes I think as the engine revs rise - leading to belt coming off. But its light and the pump weight is very low in the car.

Found this pic from a spanish ibiza with what I think is the pump you talk about ? any idea what weight they are ?

Picture034.jpg
[/IMG]

thats miguels ibiza in the picture & that georgeous sadev sequential g'box
dth bodies etc
:D

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
nice - note ali front subframe and sequential box - yumm

also - there has been a change in the regs for the dimensions of the timing beam breaker for this year - 35mm closer to the ground - why I have no idea......

DSC00684.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
same reason as suddenyl FIA approved led fog lights have to be used...... in saloon cars, which already run fog light?!?!?!

money earning for FIA companies me thinks. not the case for the diy beam breakers tho.

bizarre world.

1st place:
the best pump currently is the Siemens inteligent one as used by BMW on the 3.0 twin turbo petrol engine, but they are v expensive (over £600) impossible to get hold off (need an exchange unit to buy form dealer) and they need "smart" driving as they are a brushless motor.

2nd best is the american Stewart components E pump, used on the AMR DB9 racers, and has proved to be reasonably powerful and reliable

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ElectPump

in a very far 3rd place is the Davies craig pump, but tbh, i'd rather have my leg chewed off by an aligator than put that pump within 100yards of my car! (we tested it for flow, and at 1 bar deltaP (which would be a typical engine pressure drop) it flowed exactly......... nothing, (zero!!!!)

Personally i might try to hunt down the BMW / Siemens pump from a crashed 335i, and then see if i can develop some code/ controller hardware to run it!

Regarding the e-PAS pump, my one weighs approx 3.2 kg (quite heavy) hence i have it mounted at floor level, but i have modified it to get rid of the plastic resevoir (have a fab'd ally end piece instead) - it is a "dumb" pump, just turns on / off via an 85A relay, but as PAS hydraulic systems are "open spool" this isnt too much of an issue as they "free flow" when the steering isnt being used, and hence the power consumption is actually not too bad

hope that helps!:D

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Visit site
Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise