Pastywagon Sprint Dates 2008 - NEW 2009 prep

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
i actually like those lights rob. do you think i am on the turn?

whats the ally plating under the radiator mate?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
yep, all unused brackets are long gone

yes - holes that are not needed are covered over to reduce drag

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
i actually like those lights rob. do you think i am on the turn?

whats the ally plating under the radiator mate?

I like em too - maybe we are turning together LOL

the ally plating under the rad is part of a duct that I made behind the bumper to direct air through the rad and stop it going elsewhere, reducing drag and increasing efficiency

I also blocked off the lower bumper hole that just channelled air under the car as is wasn't doing anything but creating drag, and maybe lift

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Latest:

MOT passed today and ignition cut module fitted - friggin uneal gear shifting now - brief test tonight and you can just bury your foot on the loud pedal and shift gears without the clutch......unbelievable

Shift cut currently set to 250ms so need to experiment a bit to see if this can be reduced - depends on how quick I can actually move the lever - adjustible between 25 and 250ms (ms=milli-seconds)

PMSL all the way back home

Need to drop my gearbox running in oil now and put the decent Redline shockproof oil in.

Ave it

Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
email from Petr at SQS last night - he reckons 100-130ms is ideal, but depends how you shift gears yourself, a bit of testing required methinks

I have to say, SQS are ace to deal with - sent an email to Petr last night about 8pm and had a reply within the hour

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Booked in for Aintree with Liverpool MC Sat 27th June - woo hoo, try it out time :funk:

Having it corner weighted later this week so should be tip top

Very exciting.

Ave it

Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Great day today playing about with corner weights and geometry.

My ibiza is 950kg, 64% weight on front and even diagonals. I thought it might be a bit lighter than that but they are heavy modern cars and it has a cage and loads of safety kit so there we go. That was with road wheels and tyres fitted so in race trim, 10kg lighter probably.

Race Mk1 golfs and sciroccos are 750-850kg. Race Mk2 golf 16V is about 850-900kg. Newer cars just have more metal in them.

Car drove miles better afterwards. Really looking forward to next weekend now.

Ave it

Rob

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Me and a mate did it ;)

I would be interested in how much Dave's ibiza weighed in total, as it is a very similar car to mine, with essentially same engine and box, but I think mine is a bit more stripped out (but it has dry sump gear / additional fuel pumps etc so who knows....) - Dave?

Didn't you have yours done also Billo?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Nope, got beat by a 205 and a chap who pushed his PB by about 8/10ths on the day so fair play, I was beaten fair and square by I think about 1/10th in the end

My new gearbox is getting some used to - I was away from my PB by about 4/10ths - the ratios are so different that it was like learning the track all again - got a lot better througb the day so will be on the pace again next time out fingers crossed

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.