How to - Gloss Black Pillar Covers - Day 1

gregdaisley

Morning all, thought I'd make a little guide of how to replace the standard B and C pillar covers with the shiney ones off the LCR...

Day 1 - Removal

B Pillar:

1. Unscrew the 4 Torx screws (2x Front, 2x Rear)
2. Remove

C Pillar:

1. Strip Door Card - Remove the Fabric area, Plastic Strip on the grab handle and Speaker Cover, their clipped on, no screws, but you'll need to PULL HARD. To completely remove the fabric area you'll need to unhook the cable at the rear.

2. Removing Door Card - Unscrew 7x Torx Screws, 5 of which are holding the plastic card to the metal door and 2 which are holding the window winder bracket to the door. Once all the screws are out, pull the whole door card up, then away from the door to remove, it doesn't need to be completely disconnected so leave cables and wires attached.

Should look like this...

howto1.jpg

3. Removing Handle - This is the tricky bit...

Firstly you'll need to remove 5x Torx Bolts which are a PITA. Wind the window down/open and pull the seal away from the door. There are 2 screws at the rear (above the lock mechanism) which need the plastic bungs removed first, 2 at the front that need the seal pulled out for and one on the inside.

dscf0049oo.jpg

dscf0046w.jpg

dscf0051z.jpg

dscf0047z.jpg

Secondly you need to disconnect the control cable from the handle to the lock mechanism. This means that the window must go back up/closed, which is a right pain as you'll have to f*** around with the seal to get it to go up.
There is a yellow & black clip which needs to be split (it goes back together) to free the cable. Pull the whole handle assembly out and disconnect the trunnion on the end of the cable at the handle end. The assembly is now free and removed.

dscf0044wew.jpg

dscf0045w.jpg

dscf0048fa.jpg

The plastic cover on the assembly can now be removed, I ripped mine off at the beginning, snapping every clip on it so its well and truly buggered.

100_1673.jpg

Once removed it should look something like this...

dscf0052h.jpg

dscf0053mb.jpg

REBUILD TO COME - WATCH THIS SPACE

Last edited:

gregdaisley

Frustratingly my new parts are in work behind lock and key which only one person has access to. This means I can't do the rebuild until tomorrow. For now, I've bagged her up to try to prevent any ingress of moisture/dirt...

dscf0056a.jpg

gregdaisley

Why did you snap the cover off?

I didn't know how it came apart, I didn't expect it to break. Doesn't bother me they'll be going in the bin anyway I think!

yeah i love this guide mate hope you like the pillars there well better in my eyes. i love how you got my picture in there :)

Yeh I thinkso too! Thanks again for the heads up before hand :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.