Reverse light staying on?????

Cupra_Rally

Jul 27, 2013
Hi.

I have a 98 Cupra Gti (ABF engine) and for some reason the reverse lights are on all the time. Obviously i can take the bulbs out and problem solved, but would prefer to fix the issue properly.

Obviously the reverse light switch could be the answer, but is there anything else it could be and how would i check this?

Many thanks in advance

Cupra_Rally

Jul 27, 2013
Yup....m0rk you were right.

twas indeed the switch. I've just bought the car, and a switch was provided by the guy selling as he said it had an issue. Trouble was the switch he provided is the wrong one, so had me on a wild goose chase looking for a different looking switch.

Anyway, once i'd finally tracked it down (right under my nose!) i took the switch apart and freed up the stuck pin.....and all fixed.

Will still order a new one as they are less than a fiver, but still, its nice to fix something.

Thats job 1 of many many niggles solved...now on to sloppy gear selection and fixing the locks.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Nice work!

Sloppy gear change? Welcome to the 02A gearbox! Try new bushes in the linkage (gearbox end) but even at fairly new they were always a slow shift!

I quite miss my cordie still

Cupra_Rally

Jul 27, 2013
Nice work!

Sloppy gear change? Welcome to the 02A gearbox! Try new bushes in the linkage (gearbox end) but even at fairly new they were always a slow shift!

I quite miss my cordie still

Now there is sloppy gear change, and there is this gear change!!! I thought i'd forgotten how to drive when i got in the car and went for a swift 2nd to 3rd change. Great car, but ruined by the gear change.

I assume the sloppiness in the gear linkage isn't a rare thing then? On inspection, mine seems to be caused by the area around the counter weight being worn. Are these rebushable then? Excuse the newbie questions, i'm more used to mk1 golfs with pretty slick gearchange.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think they almost came pre worn from the factory.

mk1's had the 085 & 020 rod links. These are horrible cables.

Should be able to fix it though

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise