turbo diesel decat vs mot dvta ni

bobpzero

May 31, 2012
northern ireland
stupid me emailed dvta ni asking about a decat on a turbo diesel march 2002 model. the reply was a link to pdf about exhaust and emission testing. anyone with a turbo diesel with a decat on a seat leon 1m had it mot d. just seems to be a bit of a grey area.

bobpzero

May 31, 2012
northern ireland
nevermind I think it's a point of putting the stock exhaust system back on for mot then change back afterwards. so think I'll not bother with a stainless steel exhaust system for awhile.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I have a full stainless steel exhaust with a decat and it has passed the mot twice now with no comments or advisories. I think it is only a matter of time until they enforce this. My cordoba came with a cat as standard so I don't know whether they think it didn't or what but there you have it. Maybe if it's done nice and neat and looks standard they don't notice so much. Dee's exhaust done mine and never again. They hung mine like a pig as in the back box scrapes speed bumps and I was sure the mot centre would fail it for poor construction or not being fit for purpose. It unfortunately passed on this front and I was unable to tell Mr Dee to sort it out.

bobpzero

May 31, 2012
northern ireland
righto thanks for reply. think I'll be happy enough to put a set of shocks & springs on at the moment. funny enough tho got a reply from Dvta ni as I said I was hoping for more info but was told what's there in the PDFs is sufficient.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Shocks and springs, sounds nice. They'll not deviate from what's laid out in their rules or whatever you call them. You pays you money you takes your chances. I wouldn't go back to Dee's exhausts if I could help it but there is a place up in Cullybeckey that does custom pipework for intercoolers and exhausts but I couldn't get in contact with them to enquire about any work to be done. Those guys are meant to be good.

deanodaf

Jan 6, 2013
Rathfriland
Might be a bit late but a mot tester told me it was only petrols that needed the cat in. I went through the hassle of putting mine back in when I didn't need too lol

bobpzero

May 31, 2012
northern ireland
no your not late as I've only got as far as fine tuning the engine, thanks. other reason I ask is because darkside development do decat downpipe for the mk 4 ve tdi engine.

bobpzero

May 31, 2012
northern ireland
egr delete, turbo reconditioned, .230 nozzles & a remap = 138bhp & wheel spin in 2nd somewhere between 2500rpm & 3000rpm. :D

Last edited:

deanodaf

Jan 6, 2013
Rathfriland
Egr and cooler delete, pd150 turbo, darkside intercooler and pipe work, full miltek. Revo map to 170 but need to get a custom map now to suit new turbo

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
bobpzero what engine and original power is your mk1 leon?

deanodaf there is a tunning legend down in your part of the world, his first name's Des. I know you don't know everybody in your street :D but he drives a seriously fast Ferrari eating audi 5 pot s4.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
My cordoba is a waste gated turbo. The 110 bhp ones do run a vnt turbo. I thought your car would've been vnt. 138 bhp that your getting from a waste gated turbo is very good then. They usually max out at 135 bhp, the borg warner k03 anyway. I've got an exhaust gas temperature probe to keep and eye on how things are running. The ko3 turbo starts melting the turbine wheel at 750 deg celcius. I've peaked at 550 so I have a bit of room for play. I've got suspension, brakes, sports seats and poly bushed and putting in boost gauges and that in so haven't got to the power gain part yet apart from a decat and full stainless steel 2 and 1/4 inch exhaust. I need a decent front mount before I do anything but I've got an audi a6 1.8t that needs a cam chain tensioner first.

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I wasn't too sure so I don't a bit of searching and it looks like the alh engine has a vnt 15 type turbo with similar performace characteristics as the 110 bhp asv engine. 3 bar map sensor and a map tweak and you'll be at 160bhp or maybe a bit more.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The poly bushes don't cause any vibration in the cabin at all. They just sharpen up the front end. The uprated engine mounts definitely cause vibration in the cabin and are not for the faint hearted.

deanodaf

Jan 6, 2013
Rathfriland
bobpzero what engine and original power is your mk1 leon?

deanodaf there is a tunning legend down in your part of the world, his first name's Des. I know you don't know everybody in your street :D but he drives a seriously fast Ferrari eating audi 5 pot s4.

Have no idea tbh. From rathfriland but most people have never heard of it lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.