Are dsg's really worth it?

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
Looking to buy a seat Ibiza cupra 09-15 with the dsg gear box. Have been told off people that it's amazing and off others that it's a total night mare and they use stupid amount of oil and break easily. In two minds what to buy? Can anyone help me out?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Looking to buy a seat Ibiza cupra 09-15 with the dsg gear box. Have been told off people that it's amazing and off others that it's a total night mare and they use stupid amount of oil and break easily. In two minds what to buy? Can anyone help me out?

Best posting this in the relevant Ibiza section, I'm sure someone will be able to advise you. I'm afraid I've no experience of either.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Have had two Biza Cupras with DSG, a 2010 and the revised one in 2013, both used oil but so did my manual Bizas before and was no worse. I have had no probs with both DSG either but only had the second one 16 months before I got my 280, again with DSG as I now love it and won't go back to a manual.

Dec 3, 2009
I have had no issues in 11,000 miles, car at 43k now.

Friend had Polo GTi from new > 80k mileage and had no issues either.

If you're unsure why not purchase warranty that would cover it?

big-nicky

Dec 13, 2014
I've driven a multitude of DSG vehicles, both in Petrol and Diesel. I recommend them highly!

Daniel H

Nov 3, 2016
Macclesfield
We had a V6 Audi TT with a DSG gearbox and it was fantastic until it went wrong ! The module that controls the clutch developed a fault and it was going to cost £1600 just for the part to fix it. if it hadn't failed We wouldn't have ended up getting the Leon so it wasn't all bad !
In all honesty , if I was buying a new car with a decent warranty I would go for a DSG everytime.

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
We had a V6 Audi TT with a DSG gearbox and it was fantastic until it went wrong ! The module that controls the clutch developed a fault and it was going to cost £1600 just for the part to fix it. if it hadn't failed We wouldn't have ended up getting the Leon so it wasn't all bad !
In all honesty , if I was buying a new car with a decent warranty I would go for a DSG everytime.

Had a Cupra for over a year now dsg never looked back. I've been to all lengths with seat it's had all nesasarry recalls done and they said it needs no servicing for the life of it. I really love it and would 100% buy a VW car again just for the dsg. If it ever breaks I would try find a box from a breaking car project or just bite the bullet and pay. After all most gear boxes cost a bomb dsg or not

Dec 3, 2009

I'm going through exactly the same - I have the 2.0 TFSI. The temperature sensor in the mechatronic unit fails and causes jerky pulling away. Luckily mines under warranty.

That's on the 6 speed box with a wet clutch. The 7 speed new unit is a dry clutch and should be more reliable :rofl:

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
I'm going through exactly the same - I have the 2.0 TFSI. The temperature sensor in the mechatronic unit fails and causes jerky pulling away. Luckily mines under warranty.

That's on the 6 speed box with a wet clutch. The 7 speed new unit is a dry clutch and should be more reliable :rofl:

There was a recall for this they change the oil in your box stops the temperature problem

Dec 3, 2009
Mines had 2 oil changes and it's only on 27,000, still pulling away like a learner driver :lol:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise