Why does DSG transmission have manual shift?

then

Apr 11, 2017
I'm curious. Why does any cars DSG transmisson have manual shift (semi-auto) and what's the point?

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
You could ask the same of the paddle shifts. Those and the manual stick shift option just give the driver a bit of manual control over the gears if they really want it.

TBH, I find the paddles are a bit of a gimmick. I've probably used mine a dozen times at most in 4 years of ownership. If I had a DSG box without them them I wouldn't really be that upset. As for the manual shift on the stick, I think I've used that maybe a handful of times. If I want to a better getaway from standstill, I just put the stick into the "S" position before and then moving it back to "D" again when I'm done. Maybe I'm just turning into an old man LOL

Last edited:

Pops848

Mar 29, 2017
It's for those who want to have a little "fun" in a way. I also find it useful when driving at slow speeds, engine can go up a gear but wont as it thinks i'm about to launch, so i knock it over, up and back again. Works a treat

mehrdadmalekz

May 30, 2017
Turkey
like others said, its for a bit of fun, and sometimes to have more control over the car.
e.g. when i go uphill, it doesn't change down from D2 to D1, and when it does its kind of late, so the tyres spin, in those cases i just change it myself.

Think of it as a privilege :p

Slappi

Jul 31, 2014
When I had my FR DSG, I preferred to use the manual mode when not in D (stick shift mainly not paddles). D for normal driving and manual the days I missed a manual lol.

Glad i'm back in a manual though to be honest!

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I tried using the stick to change gear but found it is the wrong way round, away from you to go up and towards you to go down? This is really un-natural!

I do tend to use the paddles when driving hard so the engine doesn't have that pause at the red-line.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

APR and Revo both have Software fixes to the way the DSG Changes.

APR shows the following changes that gives you more manual control.

User definable APR pre-optimized shift patterns based on current stage of engine performance
User definable 3-step launch control RPMs
User definable manual mode max RPM
User definable manual mode automatic upshift on or off
User definable manual mode automatic downshift on or off (Kickdown switch)

Lawtonater9

Nov 18, 2016
Manchester
For me, the paddles allow for more involvement with the car. When I'm up in the hills it's nice to have that extra control. But then when I'm commuting the full auto adds to the comfort.
Plus the DSG paddle extensions look cool AF.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.