Exhaust preservation

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Hi peeps,

My exhaust back box is in the very early stage of deterioration, an advisory on my MOT. As much as I'd like to upgrade it with this excuse, lack of work bonus this year has confirmed it's definitely not going to happen. :cry: Is there anything I can coat it with, have done to preserve its present condition?

Cheers

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Is it a petrol or diesel?

Petrol exhausts tend to rust from the inside out particularly if the car is used for short trips. Water is produced by the engine in the exhaust and rots it out if not warmed up often. Not much you can do to stop it apart from buying a new rear box.

Diesel back boxes seem to last years, mine is 15 years old and still solid.

It may be just the heat shield, I was getting MOT advisories for a few years on mine. Thought it need a new back box but only needed to remove what was left of the heat shield.

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Hi,
Leon Cupra 1.8 20VT 53 plate.

Thanks.

It's peeling on the outside, so I'm unsure what is the best way to tackle it without damaging it underneath. It's only one small area so keen to keep it tidy.

Last edited:

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Hi. No rust yet, just the outer coating has started to curl back in one area. I know that rust will follow with the exposure so was just hoping I could coat it with something as a preventive measure. It's in early stages so not worried about it breaking through. If it needs a new back box in time then so be it.

Thanks

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Not sure how hot the rear box on a petrol gets. You could try putting some metal paint (like Hammerite) on the uncovered metal or shoving some epoxy resin (Araldite) on it. But not sure how they would react to heat.

The only other thing I can find of is a some metal banding strips warped around the box to hold it together.

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Thanks mate. I was thinking of using some aluminium paint, unless there was a wonder product. I have seen bands for wrapping silencers in the auto shop but wasn't sure. Thanks for the advice.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Get hold of some high temp spray paint paint, Toolstation do one at under £7. A tin of engine enamel might be a tougher coating.

It is good for 650c so well within the backbox range. Only thing is you may need to redo every so often due to the abuses of road debris and water.

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Cheers mate, that's really helpful. I'll source some & spend a weekend in the workshop. I know our rough roads & constant rain are such a pain to these cars.
Much appreciated.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.