Breather setups

JBRADY95

Jan 8, 2018
York
So I know this will have been covered 100000 times already..but the car I have bought currently has a cheap catch can in and I want rid of it but wondering is a catch can the best way so i'll buy a decent one or how else can the breather setups be run?
Currently, theres a pipe off the bottom outlet at the front of the engine, goes up to a t-piece that joins with the crank case breather, both join together and go into the catch can and then theres a pipe coming off catch can to the TIP.

I wanted to run without the catch can going back into the inlet if possible?

What different possibilities are there?
Cheers :whistle:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Pcv pipework is cheap on eBay about £20 or less I think..no real difference, people remove it to remove possible leaks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JBRADY95

Jan 8, 2018
York
Pcv pipework is cheap on eBay about £20 or less I think..no real difference, people remove it to remove possible leaks.

Yes im not wanting to go back to the original setup, but wanting to vent to atmosphere if possible but how have people done it and done it properly? Going to be a car thats driven hard so want a decent setup

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Yes im not wanting to go back to the original setup, but wanting to vent to atmosphere if possible but how have people done it and done it properly? Going to be a car thats driven hard so want a decent setup
I did it a while back now, must be a year at least and I beat the crap out of it daily. Take pipe of intake and vent down under the car and block the hole left in the intake. Remove can.
Is what it is, some say its bad for motorbikes and environment but nothing has come out my pipe's and tbh if you do have stuff coming out of it I'd say there is something wrong

JBRADY95

Jan 8, 2018
York
I did it a while back now, must be a year at least and I beat the crap out of it daily. Take pipe of intake and vent down under the car and block the hole left in the intake. Remove can.
Is what it is, some say its bad for motorbikes and environment but nothing has come out my pipe's and tbh if you do have stuff coming out of it I'd say there is something wrong

Where have you put the pipe from the front of the engine? Vented both outlets to under the car? Breather filter on the end or just loose pipe?

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
If you’ve already got a catch can set up why don’t you just bung up the TIP and then vent to atmosphere.

Then there will be no oil and everyone is happy

Here is mine but hard to tell what I did but only photo I’ve got on my phone

11d9abaf93d7a935d1e9da0aef3d9c21.jpg

JBRADY95

Jan 8, 2018
York
If you’ve already got a catch can set up why don’t you just bung up the TIP and then vent to atmosphere.

Then there will be no oil and everyone is happy

Here is mine but hard to tell what I did but only photo I’ve got on my phone

11d9abaf93d7a935d1e9da0aef3d9c21.jpg

The can I have is a cheap on, just empty, doesnt actually contain any baffles or anything, so just fills with water and just doesnt do anything any good.
I had one similar on my diesel and vented to atmosphere and it just had oil and gunk dripping out of it constantly. I vented it out down the bottom of the engine bay and it covered the bottom wishbone and all that area in oil and gunk

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
Mines only a cheap one, but I put some steel wool/ Brillo pads in and it catches majority of the rubbish! Don’t have any oil under my engine, just the occasional nasty smell when sat at traffic lights

DorsetChap

Jun 3, 2016
Dorset
I've read that stainless scourers can be good at attracting moisture and tend to not form a bung like steel wool can. Regardless you wouldn't want any stray bits going back into the TIP so venting to atmosphere would be safest in that situation.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.