Hissing sound after boostpipe fell off

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
Few days ago I was driving down the road, heard a strange hissing sound, booted it and heard a bang and then pipe fell off, then black smoke started coming out.

I put the pipe back on got a garage to have a look, they said the pipe was fine, but I don't think it is. When I accelerate it sounds like the air is escaping through the pipe, been reading of these forums and it sounds like the connectors on the flexi-pipe is damaged that's where the air is escaping from.

It's like a hissing sound as soon as the turbo kicks in at like 2k that's when the hissing starts.

Anyone else got this problem?

Prices for new flexi-pipe part?

Cheers.

brad1

What car and model, also what exact pipe? Maybe the one of the two lugs has broke off or it hasnt been fitted back on securely

flappy

Ferociously Rapid
Mar 28, 2007
Sounds like the clip may have been put on backwards. I had exactly the same problem once, took me ages to figure it out as all looked normal when inspecting the pipes.

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
I don't know the name for the pipe mate but it's the bit what connects to the Intercooler.

it's only just started making the noise after the pipe fell off though, Ive been reading the forum posts with other people with the same problem. And people have been replying saying it's normal, but mine only started making the noise after the pipe fell off so it can't be.

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
Sounds like the clip may have been put on backwards. I had exactly the same problem once, took me ages to figure it out as all looked normal when inspecting the pipes.
Ah so the clip may be on the wrong way round? Would that cause the hissing sound?

Il have to check mate, thanks!

Silence

Ah so the clip may be on the wrong way round? Would that cause the hissing sound?

Il have to check mate, thanks!

Turns out it was one of the intercooler pipe clips that had was loose, which the dealer has now fixed. Can't hear the sound anymore, although will have to listen out for it next time i've got a full load in the car

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
Turns out it was one of the intercooler pipe clips that had was loose, which the dealer has now fixed. Can't hear the sound anymore, although will have to listen out for it next time i've got a full load in the car

Same mate, mine was intercooler clips too, I took the pipes off, put them back on refitted the clips and now it's fine!!! Weird.

Silence

Same mate, mine was intercooler clips too, I took the pipes off, put them back on refitted the clips and now it's fine!!! Weird.

Hi mate. Where can I find these intercooler clips for me to check from time to time that everything is secured? Would I need to jack the car up to look for them?

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
Yeh mate, jack it up, take the underneath tray off. Then look towards the passenger side corner (connection to intercooler), just take pipe off all together and re-fit the clips.

flappy

Ferociously Rapid
Mar 28, 2007
You have to take the under tray off, jack the car up and look where the boost pipes join. There is often a little bit of oil leaking from these.