Alternative for headlight retaining clip

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Just found that the Silicon hose coming from the side mount intercooler has been rubbing against the inner retaining clip, one of the 2 that holds the back plate in place. Got a good groove now and not long before it rubs through.

I don't fancy running with that cover plate off so has anyone come up with a fix?

My thought is to feed some wire through the clip mounting holes and twist to hold in place...

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Thanks for the reply but the wire seems to have worked. Had some garden 1.6mm wire, could have been a bit thinner but got it through and a little twist and it seems to be holding tight.

Thought I'd take the chance to drop some LED H7's in while at it. Sod's law they recommend to not refit the back plate or cut a dirty great chunk out of it.

So now to decide, run with without the LEDs or without the back plates.

Last edited:

SteveWM

Jul 12, 2016
West Midalnds
Verbal,

I have some of those clips still, stripped the broken lights down for spares before a binned the damaged bodies.

Assume it’s one of the two clips you pull over the bulb cover?

If you pm me you’re address I’ll post you one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Thanks for the offer Steve but I have the clip.

The issue was the standard clip extends out enough to rub against the new silicon hose from the SMIC. However the wire seems to be a good solution for now.

SteveWM

Jul 12, 2016
West Midalnds
Thanks for the offer Steve but I have the clip.

The issue was the standard clip extends out enough to rub against the new silicon hose from the SMIC. However the wire seems to be a good solution for now.

No worries, will have to check where the SMIC hoses are on mine when I’ve next got the bonnet open.

You reckon that clip has worn the hose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Yes, on boost that pipe expands and touches.

When the daylight gets longer I'll have more time to make sure I can't shift the hose further onto the pipe and away.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.