Help me with my turbo pleeeaaassee ... is it broke ?

MisterMoleyMole

Apr 21, 2008
Hi all ,

I wonder if anyone could help me with some advice.

I have a 55 plate Leon FR TDI and am a little worried about the turbo. I think i have power i'm not noticing anything major with regards to power but i do think the turbo seems very loud when you first put your foot down. It gives off more of a SHHHHHHH than a whistle, maybe like there is air escaping somewhere. As it gets higer up the revs though it seems to turn into more of a standard turbo whistle.

Does this sound normal for this car ? I don't know anyone else with one to compare unfortunately.

Is there anything i can go and check myself to see if pipes are off etc ?

I'm no mechanic but dont mind gettin under my car if you see what i mean.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gavin

MisterMoleyMole

Apr 21, 2008
ahhh ok .. cool :)

do you also get your turbo stuttering sometimes at that point where its about to kick in , this is when driving really easy. Its like your just on the brink of the turbo kicking in and it doesnt know whether to or not. ... kind of like when you find that point on a light switch where the light starst to flicker and normally you get an electric buzz as its just on that bring of on or off.

haha hope that makes sense

Swig

Apr 30, 2009
sheffield
I was quoted £1077 for replacing a turbo on a 2004 Leon 130 SE so £1500 is maybe a bit high.

There's got to be plenty of other things to investigate before replacing your turbo though!

MisterMoleyMole

Apr 21, 2008
Cool was just a stab in the dark based on what ive read on here. The 150 FR tdi does have a different turbo also doesnt it so that will prob bump the price up maybe ?

Anyway by the sounds of things it doesnt sound like its an issue as others also sound like this ?

Anyone else care to put my mind at rest ?

JUst dont want to leave it and it end up being a problem. It has always sounded like this since ive had it but i guess with me being broke at the min its playing on my mind and i dont want to have to fork out for a new turbo at some point.

Cheers
Gav

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus

do you also get your turbo stuttering sometimes at that point where its about to kick in , this is when driving really easy. Its like your just on the brink of the turbo kicking in and it doesnt know whether to or not. ... kind of like when you find that point on a light switch where the light starst to flicker and normally you get an electric buzz as its just on that bring of on or off.

had the exact same problem and a new fuel filter fixed it. it doesn't throw up any codes on the ecu so was lucky the problem was found quickly before the dealer inserted his till roll!!

as for replacement turbos you can easily get one fitted under £1000. obviously this isn't at a dealer. a rebuilt turbo should be under £500 (my hybrid cost me £430 with a cheeky discount) and fitting about £250ish depending on where you go

StevenB

Yeah...my 05 plate FR sounds the same. I had an 04 Cupra a while back which was pretty noisy also.
You have the best colour there btw! (not that i'm biased) [B)]

danwfr

Feb 21, 2008
Tredegar, south wales

mine does this too

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.