Dash lights like Xmas display....

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
OK guys, need a wee pointer in the right direction with this one:
I'm away at work and the wife phones to say all the lights on the dash came on while driving home (a mile to go so she got home and switched engine off). After telling me, I asked her to go and try starting it but noted this
- Went out to car and no lights on
- Put in key and turned to 1st position, all lights came on and stayed on with the battery light being the brightest
- Tried to start engine but it cut out as soon as it turned over
- Switched off and removed key, all lights went out.
Anyone had the same problem and if so please let me know how to fix it - I was thinking Alternator problem :confused:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Right folks, checked all fuses including the ones under battery cover - all OK.
Code reader will not link - keeps coming up with Link Error!!! - but more stranger is the dash lights come on just by plugging in my reader!!!! Then they flash when I try to connect and it just comes up with the error.
When I turn on the ignition to 1st position, both fans come on after 5secs and stay on !!
I’m baffled but still thinking alternator??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clag

Dec 28, 2016
dodgy earths can cause allsorts bud. check battery voltage too because that can cause loads of systems to report faults

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Thanks for all the replies, just a wee update and to say I’m still baffled:
I got back from holiday on Sat 27th - the car had bee sitting in driveway all this time - thought I might as well get to the bottom of the problem. Checked all fuses again - OK
Checked battery volts - 12.5
Checked the earth leads I could get to - OK
Noted that all the dials needles were in their normal position and not sitting at the 10 o’clock.
Switched on ignition and all lights came in as normal but then they started to go out as you would expect!!! Noted that both fans were not running (which they were before)
Tried to start her but didn’t even turn over - like the battery was dead.
Connected my code reader and it actually linked in this time, lots of codes with missing messages ( I took a note of them just in case) then proceeded to clear them, all successfully.
Got a jump start from wife’s car and managed to start the car on second go . Left running for 10mins then gingerly went for a drive - all ok (had heating/radio/rear de mister/lights on). Got home switched off and left a couple of mins and started her, again no probs. Been OK since, rechecked for error codes and none saved so at a loss as to what caused the problem in the first place!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Get your battery checked for power. Voltage can show that 12.5 (low end of good) but the amps can be low and give lots of problems.

Also check your alternator is chucking out enough, your battery should show 13.7 - 14.7 when running.

Last edited:

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Glad you've sorted everything ok even without knowing how. :p

But all the checking and re-checking must been of any good.

Maybe the earth points have became well connected or rust free.

But as said above I would also suspect battery issues.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.