High mileage Cupra

Neurofen

Feb 5, 2018
Hey guys, been looking at a cupra recently in my area 1 owner FSH with 104k on the clock.
Generally how long do these engines tend to go for if well looked after? Has anyone got to 200k? And is 1.7k a bit steep for something like this??

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi there.
If looked after these 1.8 turbo engines can run and run.
My lad is now driving my Cupra which is on 165,000 odd.
Car still impressive, solid, engine tight and lively.
Still on original turbo too.
As the one you’re looking at is one owner and FSH
I’d be petty happy to buy and drive that.
Check when timing belt last done and has water pump been upgraded to metal impeller? If it’s been changed and there’s a receipt then it’ll have the metal impeller.
Hard to say how much you should pay. There’s a few about. Check FB as well as the normal places. There are Cupra owners clubs on there selling and braking them.
Also don’t know the year.
Is it a facelift? Should be for the price and mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neurofen

Feb 5, 2018
Thanks for your reply! Nice to see you got 160K+ on the clock! Also I didn't know about the water pump so I'll be sure to check that out.

Not sure I can link adverts from other sites on here without getting into trouble, otherwise id ask for your opinion :lol: , but it's the 2002 facelift model. I just been looking through it's old MOT reports and noticed advisories of corrosion, leaking exhaust and unsecure pipe in the past (not on current). Are these of major concern or generally quite common?
My only compliant is the leather seats, either cold in the winter or I have to face the backs of my thighs sticking to them in the summer!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Thanks for your reply! Nice to see you got 160K+ on the clock! Also I didn't know about the water pump so I'll be sure to check that out.

Not sure I can link adverts from other sites on here without getting into trouble, otherwise id ask for your opinion :lol: , but it's the 2002 facelift model. I just been looking through it's old MOT reports and noticed advisories of corrosion, leaking exhaust and unsecure pipe in the past (not on current). Are these of major concern or generally quite common?

My only compliant is the leather seats, either cold in the winter or I have to face the backs of my thighs sticking to them in the summer!

Is it this one?
If so it's very tidy.
https://www.facebook.com/carthrottle/posts/1996732950337745
People selling cloth Cupra r seats for 200 for full set on FB
Check the exhausts been done.
Will be 1000 plus for turbo back and about 350 400 for cat back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Neurofen

Feb 5, 2018
The exact one! Il give the guy a call to see what he says, if it’s gone there’s always a few gems popping up it seems!
Shame my Mum had a Cupra which she traded in 2 years ago with just 23k. I wish to this day she never sold it

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Tell him you're serious and go drive it.
Check it runs well. Boosts properly.
No knocking(suspension etc,)
Pay 1600ish. It's pretty good buy.
Think the cheaper ones have been ragged and modded to the max.

Neurofen

Feb 5, 2018
There’s also this beauty from Drewcole on the forum. in the colour I like too. Just not sure if I’m biting off a project I cannot afford with my minimal experience?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I just remembered. Hard to check unless carpets are wet or smells damp in the car or boot.
The door seals perish and the rain gets in soaking the carpets and steaming up inside. Signs of water on the sill or wet sills when it rains means they are going.
Locking modules fail and comfort module in drivers door.
Comfort module is things like buzzing alert when lights left on when you open door. Window controls etc
Audible low fuel warning. Plays havoc with central locking too.
Check it locks all doors and unlocks remotely that you get flashing indicators when locking etc no flashing means one of the modules is failing.
There is also a thread on here which is a buyers guide. Spells out what to look for and how to check stuff out.

Neurofen

Feb 5, 2018
Sadly I can’t as I am under 15 posts still :(
He has it listed in the classified on the forum too. Looks sweet!
I’ll keep you updated on my search!

How long have you had your cupra now by the way??

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Had a Cupra for about 9 years then sank my money into a Cupra R which I bout about 10 month ago.
Which is great. Quite heavily modded too.
3ce3361298a8ae21647e4d32727c0305.jpg

Now mine looks like this.
8d2ad91d763c08f0423f17b7bd76af4f.jpg

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Had a Cupra for about 9 years then sank my money into a Cupra R which I bout about 10 month ago.
Which is great. Quite heavily modded too.
3ce3361298a8ae21647e4d32727c0305.jpg

Now mine looks like this.
8d2ad91d763c08f0423f17b7bd76af4f.jpg

They look so good together & you've done a cracking job with your R :D

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
engines are good.
clutch, steering etc are more of a potentially expensive issue

+1 The engines are strong enough. They’ll last the life of the car if they’re not modd’ed too much and given some fresh oil once in awhile.

But the mk1 is getting old and it’s all the other bits that start failing. I budget at least £500 a year for unexpected repairs.

andycupra

status subject to change
+1 The engines are strong enough. They’ll last the life of the car if they’re not modd’ed too much and given some fresh oil once in awhile.

But the mk1 is getting old and it’s all the other bits that start failing. I budget at least £500 a year for unexpected repairs.

I Agree,

I had a Mk1 cupra for 15 years. gulp...
after 14 years it started talking to me... all the time the engine and gearbox were fine, brakes good, - NEVER had to replace any coil packs, (original bolt downs..) in fact the engine bay even when it went was spotless, no oil leaks, nothing. I cannot believe the state of some engine bays I've seen on here recently.
But other parts of the car were calling time, electric windows, steering column, then clutch and slave called time. It was time to put it to rest.

overall, for 15 years motoring it was very reliable and so cheap transport also, (only once did it let me down before it died, - a clutch pedal failure, - not uncommon) cheap £15 fix but PITA to replace if your not flexible or happy upside-down.
Think I was lucky in that it was a very early leon cupra and so was very much audi/vw parts before seat looked into reducing cost...

Last edited:

Sethmate

Jul 4, 2005
Northumberland
I Agree,

I had a Mk1 cupra for 15 years. gulp...
after 14 years it started talking to me... all the time the engine and gearbox were fine, brakes good, - NEVER had to replace any coil packs, (original bolt downs..) in fact the engine bay even when it went was spotless, no oil leaks, nothing. I cannot believe the state of some engine bays I've seen on here recently.
But other parts of the car were calling time, electric windows, steering column, then clutch and slave called time. It was time to put it to rest.

overall, for 15 years motoring it was very reliable and so cheap transport also, (only once did it let me down before it died, - a clutch pedal failure, - not uncommon) cheap £15 fix but PITA to replace if your not flexible or happy upside-down.
Think I was lucky in that it was a very early leon cupra and so was very much audi/vw parts before seat looked into reducing cost...

+1
Had our cupra from new, now coming up to its 15th birthday and 200k. Like you say, other things start falling - remote locking, passenger window, the odd damp carpet. But love the car and wouldn't change it.

BenCupraR

Mar 23, 2017
the 1.8t is a decent block and should do high mileage but like anything it depends on how its been treated.
If its been modded on the cheap then stay away but if standard with a full history then should be a good buy (although wont be easy to sell on if mileage too high).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members