Stage 1/2 advice AUQ

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
Hi all

Finally got my standard Cupra 1.8t AUQ up to healthy levels and ready to think about tuning

Plan was to go stage 1 with a decent remap ,
What would I need to do to go straight to stage 2 ?
What parts
Rough cost in total
Expected gains

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
First question... How old is your clutch? Stage two will max it out and if old and warn will probably start to slip within a week.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
Clutch is 100k old , but still perfect and bites low , but maybe factor in the price of changing it anyway you think ?

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
Or do I just make do with a stage 1 ? Doesn’t look like much of a step up to stage 2 in terms of performance numbers compared to price ?
Better just stage 1 , then a Cupra R next year instead , at stage 1 they push 260 ?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Clutch is 100k old , but still perfect and bites low , but maybe factor in the price of changing it anyway you think ?

http://badger5.biz/epages/3927bc2c-...4739-96a5-d6cca869fcd6/Categories/Shop/Clutch and flywheel is 100k+ too so your going to need to swap that out..extra £200min to £400 for that. SMF is cheaper option bit most don't like the on/off feeling you get and I don't think this badger 5 clutch will work with SMF.
Either way a clutch with 100k won't last and will slip, better of thinking about that first.

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
Clutch first then lol , I’ll sort that over the coming months then think about which stage to start at , or whether to sell the car and get a BAM engined Cupra R

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Clutch first then lol , I’ll sort that over the coming months then think about which stage to start at , or whether to sell the car and get a BAM engined Cupra R

Remapping a 100k engine is what is it is, many things could fail, what you could do is remap it and hope for the best/use that clutch up, either way it shouldn't go bang and destroy your box, you should get sign's of slippage and that's a sign for you to back off. Clutch you have now could last 10k at stage 1 or could last a day.

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
I’ll just get the stage 1 remap and see what happens lol
If I have to replace clutch I’ll look at stage 2 then

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
I live in Warrington and have a guy I have used several times over the last 10 years , who charges me peanuts now to map the cars ,

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Or do I just make do with a stage 1 ? Doesn’t look like much of a step up to stage 2 in terms of performance numbers compared to price ?
Better just stage 1 , then a Cupra R next year instead , at stage 1 they push 260 ?

I've had both cars.
If you add an induction kit with heat shield,
And a turbo inlet pipe from the likes of Badger5
You will see additional gains when mapped.
In addition you should do the exhaust.
Turbo back preferably. A 3" system is best.
Now it can breathe in and out properly.
Once you have this do a stage 1 custom map, which will produce better power and better delivery of that power.
Almost no difference in price either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
You'll save money if you sell your Cupra and buy a Cupra R with a few mods already done. There's plenty out there if your looking in the right places.

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
Yeah stage 1 is seeming the viable option , certainly for the price it’s a big jump and no real outlay except cost of the map

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Yeah stage 1 is seeming the viable option , certainly for the price it’s a big jump and no real outlay except cost of the map

It is fun...only issue I have is traction in the wet but it can be really fun wheel spinning past someone as 60mph.
As for the buy a cupra r comment... Why? Make the cupra a cupra r killer ko4 kits come up pretty cheap.

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Well he said he wants get a Cupra r next year. I guess if the Cupra is nice and healthy then go for it. You just have to factor in all sorts of wear and tear that would have otherwise lasted perhaps a bit longer on a standard map.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
To be fair buying an R would be like modding the Cupra fully.
Better seats,interior, handling, power, looks, wheels.
Bigger turbo to mod in the future.
If bought with a FMIC already fitted he would be on his way to a great car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

andycupra

status subject to change
unless you are wanting to throw money away I'd say you should be considering
stage 1
or LCR.

then of course no doubt you will be asking do I stage 2 the LCR..... :)

thowing money at a cupra, instead of getting an LCR to be is not thr right way to do it.
The LCR is a significant step up from the cupra, not just power, handling and comfort strangly in my experience. (higher damping / lower spring rates, different suspension set up, cast wishbones etc IIRC)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.