Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

ckpe

Mar 7, 2018
What format do you format the SD card with - fat32? Or just delete it?

Before this, I just updated this folder maps \ 00 \ nds \ PRODUCT and my navi could not start anymore, I put the correct card in, again and after a few restarts, it worked again with the original card.

And.
I have a newer version, (Replaced /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with that from my original backup of 0430), I just have to take the file from my 0730 instead of 0430

ckpe

Mar 7, 2018
In addition, I used to use my old my old card version 3 SD card and copy the new version from the web down to that card and after copying OVERALL.NDS from my card version 4 onto the SD card. Nav map version 4 is what my car has now. Or should I use the latest SD card (Ver 4) I have. I'm probably a very confusing question, but that's because I have two original sd cards, one is version 3 and the newest I've paid for is called version 4

Tell

Staff member
In addition, I used to use my old my old card version 3 SD card and copy the new version from the web down to that card and after copying OVERALL.NDS from my card version 4 onto the SD card. Nav map version 4 is what my car has now. Or should I use the latest SD card (Ver 4) I have. I'm probably a very confusing question, but that's because I have two original sd cards, one is version 3 and the newest I've paid for is called version 4

I will be the card that your unit is currently paired with is the one to use. That's going to be 4.

ckpe

Mar 7, 2018
Yes. It works with all Mib2 standard whatever version they were on and then over too.

Thanks.
I want to try, but you write something about a sector, and there is hardware / physical on SD cards, do not you mean a file?
I am in doubt if I can use my old navigation SD card and copy the new files over, or if I need the new SD card that is in the car now?

Tell

Staff member
No you don't need a new card, you use the one currently paired to the unit following those instructions above. The hidden sector which you can't delete using standard tools contains the file (s) that pair the unit up. That and the file you copy back frig it to work without Mapcare.

ckpe

Mar 7, 2018
No you don't need a new card, you use the one currently paired to the unit following those instructions above. The hidden sector which you can't delete using standard tools contains the file (s) that pair the unit up. That and the file you copy back frig it to work without Mapcare.

Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately, it does not work for me. It writes that no database exists.
Then I put the original in again and it writes there is no database,
I will then reset navigation and turn off my radio for 5 minutes, only then will it work again with the original navigation. Did you work just after you put the updated card in, or should you do something?
This file should not be copied onto the card, it is not on the old card. (0915_MP171-1284.xEUR1.md5)
And what about this file - should it also be copied from the old BMD.NDS, that's why it does not work?

Last edited:

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
/maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS is tied to the card that it first appeared on.
In order not to shaft the original card that came with the car, I used a second hand ebay card and keep the overall.nds that came with that card for use on that card alone. So long as you don't mix these up, both original (untouched) and ebay (updated to latest maps) cards work in my car (MYE2016, H24 MIB2).

No need to reformat between versions, just take a copy of /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS, delete everything off the card, copy the latest map files over, then overwrite /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS with the copy of the original that came with the card.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately, it does not work for me. It writes that no database exists.
Then I put the original in again and it writes there is no database,
I will then reset navigation and turn off my radio for 5 minutes, only then will it work again with the original navigation. Did you work just after you put the updated card in, or should you do something?
This file should not be copied onto the card, it is not on the old card. (0915_MP171-1284.xEUR1.md5)
And what about this file - should it also be copied from the old BMD.NDS, that's why it does not work?

It should work. You take the copy as you have. Follow post 889. Just delete the contents off the card after taking a copy. Assuming nothing untoward happended in your download copy across and complete the steps in 884. Don't do anything else. You might need a reboot before putting the card in. Failing that I'd try to do the download again. The directory structure is the same, sure you haven't got something one level further down etc.

The technical stuff kicks off on post 501 by late January they had sorted it out, but those instructions cover cloning onto a new card which you don't need to do. That tells you about that sector. I'm sure people have done your release.

I see we are getting cross posts, I'd agree with one up.

Last edited:

ckpe

Mar 7, 2018
1000 thanks for the help, now I'm on the latest version.
I was not happy to overwrite my original version 4 and therefore I experimented with my older original card version 3.
I copied the full version 4 over to my version 3 card and tested that it worked in the car.
Then I copied "/maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" from the "new" version 3 and saved the file to my desktop, then deleted the entire version 3 card and copied the entire "folder" folder from version 0915 to version 3 card and then copied "/maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" above the original.
And then it works !!!!

Tell

Staff member
Least it's working now :D... not so sure why it wasn't on your other card thou unless you never did a complete delete on that. Unless it was something to do with how that card was paired to the unit. That's my understanding is that the visible contents are standard on the same serial number of the release on card but the hidden sector isn't. That NDS file copied tallies with the series registration in the unit which also happens to be the top level data base index of the maps. That index just happens to be swappable between releases. That bit of information was found by the guys that did the workaround from publicly available copyright notices on the database file structure mentioned way back in the thread, I think the guy found the workaround by trial and error but then found why it worked.

ckpe

Mar 7, 2018
It should work. You take the copy as you have. Follow post 889. Just delete the contents off the card after taking a copy. Assuming nothing untoward happended in your download copy across and complete the steps in 884. Don't do anything else. You might need a reboot before putting the card in. Failing that I'd try to do the download again. The directory structure is the same, sure you haven't got something one level further down etc.

The technical stuff kicks off on post 501 by late January they had sorted it out, but those instructions cover cloning onto a new card which you don't need to do. That tells you about that sector. I'm sure people have done your release.

I see we are getting cross posts, I'd agree with one up.

/maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS is tied to the card that it first appeared on.
In order not to shaft the original card that came with the car, I used a second hand ebay card and keep the overall.nds that came with that card for use on that card alone. So long as you don't mix these up, both original (untouched) and ebay (updated to latest maps) cards work in my car (MYE2016, H24 MIB2).

No need to reformat between versions, just take a copy of /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS, delete everything off the card, copy the latest map files over, then overwrite /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS with the copy of the original that came with the card.

Least it's working now :D... not so sure why it wasn't on your other card thou unless you never did a complete delete on that. Unless it was something to do with how that card was paired to the unit. That's my understanding is that the visible contents are standard on the same serial number of the release on card but the hidden sector isn't. That NDS file copied tallies with the series registration in the unit which also happens to be the top level data base index of the maps. That index just happens to be swappable between releases. That bit of information was found by the guys that did the workaround from publicly available copyright notices on the database file structure mentioned way back in the thread, I think the guy found the workaround by trial and error but then found why it worked.

Hello.
I have two original cards 3 and card 4
I have only tried to work with the old card 3 and it is card 3 that works now.
I have at no time formatted the card as one of you wrote I should, just deleted it.
I don´t know if I was told that, so it could be understood before.?

Method that does not work:
Deletes everything on card 3 and copied the entire "folder" folder from version 0915 over plus "/maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" from card 4, which was my active card.
There was an error that it could not find the database.

Method worked:
Deletes everything on card 3 and copied all active card 4 onto card 3.
Tried card 3, with card 4 data in the car and it worked perfectly.
Then I deleted card 3 again and copied the entire "folder" folder from version 0915 over plus "/maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" from card 4, which was my active card.
I'm now running version 0915 on NAVI SYSTEM PAGE LEON - 6P0

Tell

Staff member
It would have worked on Card 4 thou if you had taken the plunge rather than Card 3 which wasn't paired at that stage. Copying the contents of 4 to 3 and getting that to work must have caused the hidden partition to be updated by the unit I guess or the unit decided that card 3 looked like a card 4 so then allowed card 3 to be used :). Having got that updated the process then ran smoothly - least that's what I think happended.

The delete v reformat. A quick re format can be a lot quicker than a delete on SD cards that have alot on them. Thats why I said do that. A reformat will only touch the partition it sees so would have preserved the hidden one. Always Fat32.

jacko5

Jan 10, 2017
UK
So i have been all through this thread and cannot find a solution to MIB1 updating.
Is that still the case ?
I am on Firmware 040 ... Software 425
Is this the latest update ?

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
So i have been all through this thread and cannot find a solution to MIB1 updating.
Is that still the case ?

I don't think there is a DIY universal one. A few years back people where doing things with new cards but that's fiselled out so it appears when you read what people are saying on the thread recently. It might have been something to do with the three year Mapcare that could have been on these cards... but then it never worked for some people at the time with Mib1 so that process was never certain.

Then you got the guy who wants you to extract the unit and send it to East Europe for a cost never published for a process he's been asked to publish so you can do it yourself, but has not. Before that people flogging cards but then you have to get the dealer to marry them up so you might as well go direct to the dealer if it's no cheaper.

So not unless it's hidden on some Russian site it's not here. Basically Seat should just fall inline with their companion VAG brand and throw in Mapcare for free or at least sell it rather than extort money out of their customers for map upgrades. But that goes without saying.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Basically Seat should just fall inline with their companion VAG brand and throw in Mapcare for free or at least sell it rather than extort money out of their customers for map upgrades. But that goes without saying.

But then SEAT will start charging for satnav as an option like the VW or the Audi.

You seem to have two trains of thought - free satnav and pay for the map updates - OR - pay for the satnav and get free map updates ( during the warranty period )

Tell

Staff member
But then SEAT will start charging for satnav as an option like the VW or the Audi.

You seem to have two trains of thought - free satnav and pay for the map updates - OR - pay for the satnav and get free map updates ( during the warranty period )

There is already the option of not paying for sat nav by just getting the composite model which pandars for the Android Auto people. VW and Skoda as I understand it dont charge for Mapcare in the UK bundle it in. The three year warranty of updates they can't limit so it's free till they stop updating Mib2 maps, Skoda have said that. Basically VAG has gone passed offering Mapcare as an additional paid option whilst in the UK Seat aren't even offering Mapcare as a paid extra. But given Mapcare only costs £125 in Europe or so I think most people would gladly pay for it but then as said VAG in the UK has moved beyond this.

Tell

Staff member

There is already the option of not paying for sat nav by just getting the composite model (Seat MEDIA SYSTEM PLUS) which pandars for the Android Auto people. VW and Skoda as I understand it dont charge for Mapcare in the UK bundle it in. The three year warranty of updates they can't limit so it's free till they stop updating Mib2 maps, Skoda have said that. Basically VAG has gone passed offering Mapcare as an additional paid option whilst in the UK Seat aren't even offering Mapcare as a paid extra. But given Mapcare only costs £125 in Europe or so I think most people would gladly pay for it but then as said VAG in the UK has moved beyond this.

jacko5

Jan 10, 2017
UK
I don't think there is a DIY universal one. A few years back people where doing things with new cards but that's fiselled out so it appears when you read what people are saying on the thread recently. It might have been something to do with the three year Mapcare that could have been on these cards... but then it never worked for some people at the time with Mib1 so that process was never certain.

Then you got the guy who wants you to extract the unit and send it to East Europe for a cost never published for a process he's been asked to publish so you can do it yourself, but has not. Before that people flogging cards but then you have to get the dealer to marry them up so you might as well go direct to the dealer if it's no cheaper.

So not unless it's hidden on some Russian site it's not here. Basically Seat should just fall inline with their companion VAG brand and throw in Mapcare for free or at least sell it rather than extort money out of their customers for map upgrades. But that goes without saying.

Thanks for the info.
Will have to stick with what i have.
Shame as having maps 4 years out of date is not good.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.