Gear selection problems

Johnnys149

Nov 6, 2015
Livingston, West Lothian
I have been having gear selection problems with my 59 plate Altea 1.9 Tdi. I have posted a couple of times and had a few suggestions from folk.

Due to lack of immediate funds I haven't been able to get the car into a garage to have it looked at. I have though been using it for short runs around town as it was okay, or seemed that way. Usually no more than a mile of two.

The problem started as the car sticking in 5th gear when on motorway runs. It then refused to go into 5th. This was fine for me as I was mostly using it to get myself to and from the local train station. Let the train take the strain for a change. At the weekend though, the car would not go into reverse. That became 1st. 1st became 3rd. As a result the car is now sitting in the drive going nowhere until a house sale concludes in the new year.

Question is, I though at first that it may have been master cylinder problems, but now wondering if it could be a gear selector/linkage issue. :cry:

As before, any help appreciated.

Johnny

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
I know this is an old thread but my 55 plate has started doing something similar. did you get to the bottom of it?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I would suspect clutch before gear linkage, and as a start check the hydraulic fluid level. If it is low, it's the clutch that fails first, as it's fluid is taken from the side of the reservoir, wheras the brakes take it from the bottom. A useful early-warning.

If the fluid is ok, then, well, possibly the slave cylinder. If you have a 5-speed box, then it's on the outside and easy to change. If you have a six-speed box, it's inside, and needs gearbox off to change it. Best to coordinate with a flywheel/clutch change, if you are close to needing that as well.

Johnnys149

Nov 6, 2015
Livingston, West Lothian
Hi,

It was a problem with a nylon joint in the gear linkage. I think a bit had snapped off. Can't remember the exact details, but it wasn't an expensive repair. Ended up only costing me about £100 I think. The mechanic I use isn't the **** Turpin type, and as I had given him a good explanation of the problem, he knew more or less where to look for the fix, so didn't have to spend hours diagnosing it.

Johnny

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
Any ideas on now to swap linkage? Cable at the gearbox end has started to fray and it won't go into gear now!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members