RicJames's Leon FR CR170

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Hello to all, I've browsed so many other readers ride threads and viewed so many other threads, I thought it about time I started my own thread here. I hope this provides the interest to others that theirs has done to me!!

Anyway, I'll start with my car history, it's nothing major, certainly nothing special although I loved them both!!

Pug%20And%20Vec_zps7dg7huep.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My first car the Peugeot 106; a simple 1.1 petrol, small but had very little car to pull so was surpsingly good! I had this for all of 12months before upgrading to the Vectra SRI CDTI 150 you see next it. This I really enjoyed, a 1.9 diesel which could pack quite a punch if I'm honest.

I had the Vectra for almost two years before I went car shopping and a lovely little Leon in the corner of the dealer and it was love at first sight. The miles that I cover dictated a diesel as I couldn't run anything less efficient as I do hundreds of miles a week for training (I'm a competitive swimmer alongside working and sleeping). I've now owned my Leon for nearly 18 months and, believe it or not, I don't have a "new car photo", so here's one from a few weeks later when I went on my first drive with the new motor.

IMG_1058_zpsnjpo87ry.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1059_zpsk4jloy5i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It wasn't long before I started getting ideas for it, first was an LED upgrade, replaced all bulbs and fogs with LED's, which look good now with the Xenons, especially in the dark ;) This photo is with it alongside my friends Golf (the Leon's brother from another mother and all that)

IMG_1872_zpscrpepomc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next up, remove the "Leon" from the boot and wrapped the front and rear badges and chrome grille surround. This darkened the car quite considerably both front and rear but I really do like the outcome! (And again for some reason, I've no before photos for the wrapping to compare against!)

Before%20And%20After_zps1otmuyo2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

0004_zpse6wxvjtu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

0002_zpsgfw5ugaz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And there we are, that's where I'm up to at the moment, however, there are some more plans down the pipeline and events and outings that I'll be taking it to. Anyway, I hope I've not bored you and please feel free to comment and suggest, I'm open to all ideas and advice.

So there we are, this year will be very exciting and full of treats so stay posted ;)

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Very nice, I love the rear lights on the newer models! How easy was it to wrap the badges? Wouldn't mind doing it to mine.

Considered tinting or flyeyeing the front and/or rear lights? I was thinking about doing it but being black I'm not sure if it would be a tad too much haha!

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Yeah, I really like the newer lights over the old ones! And it's not too bad to wrap, the photos above are my first attempt which took me about 4hrs using a hairdryer as a heat-gun substitute. I've since re-wrapped them it worked better, it was just the edges the first time which are the hardest as they can look messy!

And yeah, I'm having the headlights, rear lights and indicators fly-eyed this summer, it shouldn't be too much but I'd like to tint them a bit darker, I'm liking the "stealthy" appearance that the Leon's can have, but I agree I don't want to go too far with it!

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Yeah, I really like the newer lights over the old ones! And it's not too bad to wrap, the photos above are my first attempt which took me about 4hrs using a hairdryer as a heat-gun substitute. I've since re-wrapped them it worked better, it was just the edges the first time which are the hardest as they can look messy!

Where did you get the wrap from?

And yeah, I'm having the headlights, rear lights and indicators fly-eyed this summer, it shouldn't be too much but I'd like to tint them a bit darker, I'm liking the "stealthy" appearance that the Leon's can have, but I agree I don't want to go too far with it!

I'll keep an eye on your thread then! I'll let you be the guinea pig and go first before I do it :p

Last edited:

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
I'll keep an eye on your thread then! I'll let you be the guinea pig and go first before I do it :p

I think we can roll with that! And where about in North Wales are you? I'm partial to the odd trip down to (and around) North Wales now and then, mainly for the hills and the Tarmac going over them!

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
I think we can roll with that! And where about in North Wales are you? I'm partial to the odd trip down to (and around) North Wales now and then, mainly for the hills and the Tarmac going over them!

Bangor, just under Anglesey, not to be mistaken with Bangor Northern Ireland as many have :D . Got some lovely roads must admit. Just not a lot of dual carriageway for my PD170!

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Looks very nice mate, love the LED rears. Just wish it wasn't such a ball ache to swap to a facelift tailgate otherwise I'd get some myself.

Get a stubby aerial too, only a few quid on eBay. ;)

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Diddydonker, I didn't know of one in Ireland so your Bangor is the one Id have guessed, I almost visited last summer, went up Llanberis Pass and down to Caernarfon. And yeah, the roads are a bit narrow but you can still stretch your legs ;)

DanielM, thanks, I'm lucky as I got those rear lights as standard! And if you have the time and money it would definitely be worth it! Haha and how hard are the aerials to swap over? I tried taking it off once for a car wash but couldn't so left it on and laid it flat and just stood it up again afterwards.

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Update - Had the needle sweep/instrument check activated. Its a simple thing but I quite like it, especially when the dash lights up in two stages now as well.

Apologies for the quality of this, its not perfectly clear but you can see what's happening.

th_IMG_2072_zpshxbyttdp.mp4
[/URL][/IMG]

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Another update, I had issues with the LED's in the rear number plate lights, these failed in the end and unfortunately triggered a major fault with the ECU, so a local garage has to plug it in to tell the car everything was ok. However, this is now sorted, and after the comparison, I'm thinking the dull lights over the number plate isn't too bad after all ;)

Next plan for the car is a good wash, 300 miles to Newcastle and back in the rain and spray on the motorway has resulted in it being a perfect example of airflow around the car...

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
--UPDATE--

Eibach Sportlines have arrived, found myself an absolute bargain so ordered them immediately!! Unfortunately, they're not being fitted just yet (insurance wont allow modifications!![:@][:@] ) so they're just being stored for now, till the summer... ;)

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
My week last week in pictures, a thoroughly good week all things considered!!

New rear mudguards arrived from SERE Motors (many thanks), and I'm quite impressed with the difference made by such a small modification.

Then Sunday morning, took her out for a blast through North Wales with a few others I know, thinking that a brake upgrade may be required, got quite warm chasing the F430 through the hills, and even he was impressed by the might of the Leon, couldn't get it out of his mirrors ;)

The photo's are from the dinner and final stop at Ponderosa :lol:

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
Another update, I had issues with the LED's in the rear number plate lights, these failed in the end and unfortunately triggered a major fault with the ECU, so a local garage has to plug it in to tell the car everything was ok. However, this is now sorted, and after the comparison, I'm thinking the dull lights over the number plate isn't too bad after all ;)

Next plan for the car is a good wash, 300 miles to Newcastle and back in the rain and spray on the motorway has resulted in it being a perfect example of airflow around the car...

Hi mate, just picked a white LFR+ yest and want to change all the bulbs as they're so yellow it's offensive.

Obv the sidelights are 501, but what about the massive DRL and the fogs? Also rear licence plates - are they festoon 38mm, but read above you had an issue with ECU?

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Hi mate, just picked a white LFR+ yest and want to change all the bulbs as they're so yellow it's offensive.

Obv the sidelights are 501, but what about the massive DRL and the fogs? Also rear licence plates - are they festoon 38mm, but read above you had an issue with ECU?

Yeah, the sidelights are the 501, the DRL is a 382/P21W, and the fogs are HB4.

And yeah, the issue with the ECU was that the number plate bulbs kept triggering a fault, and because it kept re-occurring the ECU decided that it must be a major fault with the circuit and effectively shut it down. So it hen had to replace the LED's with the standard bulbs and take it to a garage with VAGCOM so they could reset all the faults, which apparently was a lot more difficult than it sounded!

So, after all that I'm back with the normal filament bulbs above the plate, and as the dealer asked me "why do you really want to brightly illuminate your plate anyway??", so stuck the dull, yellow bulbs back in and carried on as before!

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
But the fronts were ok?

Yeah I don't fancy a trip to get it sorted for the sake of some bulbs. Just they all look awful against the zenons

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Yeah, I've had no issues with the front ones. I'll stick some links below of the ones which I've got. And I agree, that's why I've returned to the standard number plate bulbs.

382 / P21W Bulbs

501 Bulbs

And for fog lights I'm now running these which are fantastically bright, but seeing as I only use them in bad weather ;) then it's not too big of an issue. However, these LED fog lights do require this resistor . Get that fitted and they work a dream, however, I did have these fog lights (yes, they strobe :-o) but removed them as you can't tell what mode they're in when driving and I didn't want to upset anyone or be told off... :cop: :cop:

Anyway, hope this helps you, but that's just what I have fitted, everyone has their own selection that they've found works for them!! :lol:

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Its been a while since I last updated anything on here, so felt it worth a few mentions.

Insurance for the next year has just been sorted, with a modification accepting insurer (not like my last one. BOO!!) and so let the games commence. Firstly, I've just ordered a Triple R Composites splitter and diffuser, I've seen them fitted to countless others and always liked the look!
The car is also booked to be taken away from me in two weeks :cry: however, it's only for many good things :lol: The lowering springs (Eibach Sportlines) which have been sitting in my room since February (I got a very good deal!) will finally be fitted, along with a Stage 1 remap and a new exhaust. Yes, I know what you'll be thinking "...b..b..but you have a diesel?". Correctamundo, however, I've seen another car they have worked on (and now a good friend of mine) which was an Astra VXR, wonderful machine, sounded even better when I first saw it, however, when it stopped we (being quite a group) couldn't believe such music could come from a diesel, so a request was made for them to work the same magic on mine...

As always, it is unlikely to be the end of this story, I've been infected and will probably find things to do, but I plan to restrain myself for now until I stop doing all the mileage I do now and I make a return to petrol... ;)

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Its been a while since I last updated anything on here, so felt it worth a few mentions.

Insurance for the next year has just been sorted, with a modification accepting insurer (not like my last one. BOO!!) and so let the games commence. Firstly, I've just ordered a Triple R Composites splitter and diffuser, I've seen them fitted to countless others and always liked the look!
The car is also booked to be taken away from me in two weeks :cry: however, it's only for many good things :lol: The lowering springs (Eibach Sportlines) which have been sitting in my room since February (I got a very good deal!) will finally be fitted, along with a Stage 1 remap and a new exhaust. Yes, I know what you'll be thinking "...b..b..but you have a diesel?". Correctamundo, however, I've seen another car they have worked on (and now a good friend of mine) which was an Astra VXR, wonderful machine, sounded even better when I first saw it, however, when it stopped we (being quite a group) couldn't believe such music could come from a diesel, so a request was made for them to work the same magic on mine...

As always, it is unlikely to be the end of this story, I've been infected and will probably find things to do, but I plan to restrain myself for now until I stop doing all the mileage I do now and I make a return to petrol... ;)

Interesting things to come! What exhaust are you getting? I'm after a nice sporty tone for my diesel. I've been told to get a mufflerectomy but I'm not sure I like the sound it produces.

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
Interesting things to come! What exhaust are you getting? I'm after a nice sporty tone for my diesel. I've been told to get a mufflerectomy but I'm not sure I like the sound it produces.

Thanks for the interest, and its a bespoke stainless one, similar to the above-mentioned Astra "VXD", it should be rather a treat, and I'll have to get a video/clip of it once its done.