Passenger Wiper Fault (Please Help!!)

JasLUFC

Dec 16, 2007
Hey around a month ago I was driving to work, had the wipers going, and they both collided. Due to this the passenger side wiper has stopped working altogether. The passenger wiper now feels very loose. I have removed both wipers and the passenger spindle no longer turns. I have checked some other threads on this site but dont want to start attempting to fiddle with the linkages etc unless I have to! Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Btw I have checked the nut on the passenger wiper..it is as tight as I can get it but the wiper arm stil feels a lot looser than the driver side!

Last edited:

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Fiddle! It aint working anyway.

It could be that somethings become loose, and has disconnected / unattached, although i suspect that it probably did this before they collided.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Why did they end up colliding? I'd reckon that the passenger's side linkage has popped off - you will need to get the arms of then remove the plastic scuttle "rain covers" and see if one end has come off - if its still okay just snap it back on - if its u/s and will now not stay on then go to your Seat dealer and buy a new link arm or two - I think that they are only about £22 inc VAT for a pair.

JasLUFC

Dec 16, 2007
Hey guys finally got round to looking at the wiper mechanism 2day. The linkage had popped off as you suggested RUM4MO, popped back in2 place really easily as well! Thanks Forbez for the quick response as well! Thanks guys! Heres a few pics if any1 else has a similar problem!

SL376172.jpg

SL376173.jpg

SL376171.jpg

The final photo shows the connection that had come loose. I greased both joints and they popped in2 place with ease. Wipers been working well ever since!!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ah, like my daughter's car, the reason that the linkage poped off will be due to wear in the nylon cup due to water running down the arm linkage and causing the ball part to seize - this ball part is rivetted to the short arms that are fixed to the wiper shafts. If you have not "un-siezed" the ball part then these linkages will pop off again soon. To sort this for once and for all, I'd think that you will need to free up both ball parts and replace both link arms. I'd reckon that for anyone that has not had this problem, you could stop this happening by lubricating the ball/socket end of that linkage where the water runs down into - if not these linkages will fail sooner than later - and when it happens its not fun not having front wipers working. By the way, when the linkages are okay they are very difficult to remove - and when they are new they are even harder to "snap" on.

Last edited:

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
Reviving this thread but my wipers have this same problem. I can also 'snap' them back together bit is there a simple fix I can attempt without replacing the arms?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I would think that it is time to replace these link arms, one other thing, make sure that the actual wiper arm pivots are free to move easily as if they are seizing then something has to give as the wiper motors are quite strong! So if the motor fuse stays good these ball and socket linkage points are next in line for a hard time and their weak point is the ball and socket!

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
Found a quick fix for the wiper linkage

Search for "Wiper Linkage Repair Clip" on youtube.

Halfords also do a version of the clip. Obviously a common problem.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Good enough, as long as you cleaned out and then fill the cup with grease as suggested!

I seem to remember Sellotape works for a few days!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.