Wierd Wipers - HELP!!

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
Sooty has developed symptoms of a serious illness, yet to be discovered..

The windscreen wiper contols appear to have lost the plot:

Pushing the stick down manually invokes one wipe, like it should.
The top 'notch' provides the madly quick wiping action, like it should.
The 2nd from the top notch provides a nice continuous wiping action, as it always has done.

However, the intermittent wipe notch (first notch up) does nothing. Absolutely nowt. Changing the speed using the little wheel thing on the stick also does nothing. The long and short of it is, Sooty has 'lost' the ability to provide an intermittant wiping action on the windscreen.

I leave for Germany on monday, the dealers can't fit me in and I'm confused. CAN ANYONE HELP!? :confused:

:cheers: Ian

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
How to tell if the relay's faulty ? Well I guess asking for an unaccompanied test drive of a new Ibiza at an unsuspecting dealer is a bit naughty...:D

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
I've had VAG-COM on it and it can't find any fault.. plus it did a test on the conrol module that includes the wipers, - that didn't test the intermittant setting :(

NiTr0

Mar 1, 2003
Shropshire
Just a thought as I’m sure someone i know had something like this and it was down to a fuse.. Your instance of it may differ but no harm it having a look.
If it's not the fuse I would go with the others on the Relay theory

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Just incase anyone else has this problem with their car, I found it was the newly replaced bonnet switch on mine. I say I, but infact it was Ross who told me what to look for. :worship: :clap:

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
Could be dirt & grease on the wiper stalk switch contacts. I had to change the indicator / wiper stalk assembly on my other halfs mk3 ibiza recently because the indicators would work erratically.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
mrcoyote said:
Just incase anyone else has this problem with their car, I found it was the newly replaced bonnet switch on mine. I say I, but infact it was Ross who told me what to look for. :worship: :clap:
Indeed - some time ago, I was driving and found my wipers did not work when switched to the rain sensing/intermittent position.

After getting out at the end of the journey I discovered that I had not fully closed the bonnet.
I closed the bonnet properly, got in the car and tried the wipers - and they were working normally again.

So the wipers are somehow connected with the bonnet switch as you say...wierd.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Could be, but I reattached the sensor and my wipers were, er, wiping again. :)

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
muddyboots said:
So the wipers are somehow connected with the bonnet switch as you say...wierd.
According to Ross it's to stop the wipers coming on when the bonnets open and so the arms hitting the bonnet. Not sure why why it works still when on the next position and when you manually push it down, but who can explain what those weird engineers were thinking. :)

LAWTY

steve.
how do you remove stalks, does steering whell have to come off??:shrug:

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
LAWTY said:
steve.
how do you remove stalks, does steering whell have to come off??:shrug:

Yep the steering wheel and steering column cover have to come off. Only took me 1 hour to replace the stalks, 10 mins of that was as a precaution after disconnecting the battery so the airbag didn't go off when I removed it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise