Alloy wheel refurb guide

cubixgames

Apr 16, 2007
Co. Durham
I can add some picture of stages of top coat in a few days if wanted :)

Is using chemical metal better than using etec alloy wheel puttie ??

Or do u get the same finish from both ? Ive always used puttie before in the past and found it to be easy to work with so was just wanting to know if you find the chemical metal has a better and longer lasting result ?

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Is using chemical metal better than using etec alloy wheel puttie ??

Or do u get the same finish from both ? Ive always used puttie before in the past and found it to be easy to work with so was just wanting to know if you find the chemical metal has a better and longer lasting result ?

I have not heard of wheel puttie.

Chemical metal is easy to work with and easily obtainable by everyone so I used it for the guide :)

Reactions: cubixgames

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
I did my wheels recently with the Wurth Paint. Have to say it is really easy to do and best done over a period of time so you don't rush it or get tempted to spray the paint too thick. My advice would be keep the coats of colour thin and consistent and you won't get runs.

If you want the faces to be nice and flat do a lot of sanding and prep work!

kas-fearless

Sep 4, 2015
Bucks
I did my wheels recently with the Wurth Paint. Have to say it is really easy to do and best done over a period of time so you don't rush it or get tempted to spray the paint too thick. My advice would be keep the coats of colour thin and consistent and you won't get runs.

If you want the faces to be nice and flat do a lot of sanding and prep work!

Can i ask what materials you used? what colour Wurth paint did you use? and do you have any pictures of the finished wheels.

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
temporary_zpsbskqdmqs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zpstbemuq47.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zpsts19mb71.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry about the picture quality but hopefully you can get the idea of the colour match. That is a during and finished shot.

If you google or search ebay and Amazon for Seat Wheel Paint or VW alloy paint it should come up. I bought the base coat and lacquer. If you can't find it let me know!

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
temporary_zpsbskqdmqs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zpstbemuq47.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

temporary_zpsts19mb71.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry about the picture quality but hopefully you can get the idea of the colour match. That is a during and finished shot.

If you google or search ebay and Amazon for Seat Wheel Paint or VW alloy paint it should come up. I bought the base coat and lacquer. If you can't find it let me know!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1906...ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

This is the paint I bought, you can get it cheaper if you look around. I forgot to mention you would need a primer. Most recommend an etch primer and I also bought the Halfords project pack of sand paper.

If you have considered doing a colour change on your alloys I'd say go for it. If you take your time I would say it is fairly easy. I'm going round mine and doing them 1 by 1 as I don't have a drive to leave the car on axel stands. For a repair job it is pretty easy do just take your time.

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
A question for anyone. Ive recently got a set of DRC DMG alloys which are polished and gun metal. Girlfriend has managed to very slightly kerb one of these so it has a bit of a "rash" on the lip. Given they're brand new and it's not too noticeable I was going to gradually sand it out and use some slightly abrasive aluminum (mothers mag and aluminum) polish to lessen or even fix it.

What I'm not sure about though - are these finished in a clear laquer (guessing they will be) and if so what type or clear laquer would I need.