Alloy wheel refurb guide

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
If anyone has any pictures of a black leon cupra mk1 with the OE Starfish alloys in anthracite could you post a pick please!

Thanks

Well, its not a Leon (or black) but here are my starfish alloys in matte black (DIY job)

CIMG4030.jpg

CIMG4031.jpg

CIMG4027.jpg

CIMG4028.jpg

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
haha that was my link to your car above mate

i like anthracite (bit biased :p) but i think when you have black wheels (esp multispoke) you cannot see the individual spokes from a distance, but with anthra its a good compromise :D

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
Well it begins not in a rush so here you go

Image585.jpg

Image587.jpg

filled the worst of the damage with Isopon Metallic

gping to leave the tyres on as they have a usable ammount of tread left - have removed balancing weights to paint so will have to get wheels rebalanced

quick photo edit of what I am aiming for

marksmodded1.jpg

colour choice - black or dark grey

Last edited:

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
Hello all,

Heres some pictures of my alloy refurbishment after waiting so long and having a flat tyre last saturday :( spurred me into getting these done on this week, which I had off work!

Primed.jpg

Wheel prepared and primed with some etch primer and normal grey primer.

Onecoatofpaint.jpg

This is after applying 2 coats of paint, turned out very good!

Lacquer.jpg

After another 3 coats of paint and waiting for it to go tacky, I applied the lacquer. This photo only shows one or two coats. I did put on 4 very light coats of lacquer in total.

This is all done with many many many thanks to Adams tutorial and PM`ing back to me. Happened to be online the same time as me :p but I think he`s always on :ban:

Just now to get the tyres fitted tomorrow late evening if anything is open till then or it will be Monday in which the paint should be fully dried and applied with 2 helpings of Planet Polish Shine and Seal Wheel Wax.
Any ideas on what to do about a spare wheel for my new wheels? Upgrading from 15" to 17"?

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
Hello all,

Heres some pictures of my alloy refurbishment after waiting so long and having a flat tyre last saturday :( spurred me into getting these done on this week, which I had off work!

This is after applying 2 coats of paint, turned out very good!

Lacquer.jpg

what colour paint did you use?

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
it should be okay mate, the rolling radius should be the same. 205/65/15? is your staying with 225/45/17.

195/65/15 should be okay aswell :)

Ah thats brilliant then :D got the 195/65/15. Atleast I dont have to fork out for a new spare now.

@MarkWales: I used the wheel silver spray from Simoniz. Got a good price for 2 off ebay :).

@Adam: I cant stop looking at the wheels when I go to the car! Going to apply another coat of wax to them this week and keep them fully protected :D.

Also received my new centre caps today. Going to spray the old ones black with a new S badge :).

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006

Image585.jpg

Image587.jpg

I have these rims, but mine are the polished/anthracite variety;

2071.jpg

was just wondering, the polished surface is now marked and stained a bit and i'd just like to go to silver...could I just sand it a bit to removed the polished finish?

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales

Image585.jpg

Image587.jpg

filled the worst of the damage with Isopon Metallic

going to leave the tyres on as they have a usable ammount of tread left - have removed balancing weights to paint so will have to get wheels rebalanced

quick photo edit of what I am aiming for

marksmodded1.jpg

colour choice - black or dark grey

started this mid feb and still no further than those pics - need the weather to improve

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I bought some of that ispopn mettalik filler to do my rims with. I was going to get the chemical metal but, the fact this apparently polishes a little swayed me.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.