nightflight

DPF Info - All CR-TDI Owners Should Read This

Feb 8, 2011
For the technically inclined there is more information in the following VW self study guide:-

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_336.pdf

A few points stand out.

The extra fuel is *not* injected during the exhaust stroke; it occurs during the power stroke, about 35 degrees after TDC.

During stop start driving, while on the overrun, fuel is injected 35 degrees after TDC but there is no injection at the normal time. The fuel vapourises and no power is generated but the fuel is burnt in the filter. My guess is that this is what can cause oil dilution.

There is a sensor measuring the pressure difference across the filter. A clogged filter will give rise to a larger pressure difference than an unclogged one. By this means the carbon load can be estimated.

jemimabell

Thanks for replying NetworkMan.
I'm now at the stage that I have to drive it as normal and if the light comes on hope that I'm near the garage (which to be honest I'm never near!) to get a level of the soot in it for the light activation, drive it about for the regen and then take it back to get hooked up to make sure it is clearing properly. I have no idea whether this will show anything as it was my idea as I was just getting a blanket 'no it's not the car the computer says there's no fault and it's the way the car is driven' response. (also when I said to him about the journeys I got told 'sounds like the car doesn't like those journeys now' - no idea how to answer that one!)

Feb 8, 2011
I hear that the story of the computer saying it's all OK so there can't be a problem is all too common now. As an engineer I'm happy to argue with these people when necessary. The tack I'd choose here would be something like. "If one of the sensors is feeding incorrect information to the computer then it will pronounce everything fine when it obviously isn't."

Perhaps you are happy to try something like that?

I did wonder if the pressure sensor I mention in the post above could be faulty. This could mean that the DPF is really OK but the car is reporting it as part clogged and turning on the DPF light.

jemimabell

I don't want to go in and make a fool of myself by saying something that isn't even possible (I just think that will make it easier for them to keep telling me everything is ok), so I greatly appreciate you giving me some more info to go in with!

I'll keep in mind the pressure sensor too and then I have a couple of things to go with when I go back. It was also mentioned that there was a computer update for the car when they did the regen and added that 'you never know, that might sort everything out' which I couldn't understand as they'd spent the previous couple of hours telling me there was no problem!

Thanks again! :)

jaffafr

any ideas on how much it is for a dpf delete ? and if its worth to do so cause i hate it when it comes on its soo annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@]

Apr 23, 2010
Here
You could ring the AA and ask for their advice, they usually have a legal department to help people in your situation. Make a note of the visits to the dealer and all the stupid things they are fobbing you off with, it will help with any case you have.
Also there was a report on Watchdog last week about the problems people are having with DPF filters. Doubt it will help you, but may be worth adding your case to their list.

Out of interest, what fuel do you fill up with? Some say supermarket fuel isn't that great for these engines, also the level of BioDiesel may not help if it has more than the recommended amount.

As for the DPF delete, I know P-Torque are doing one for the 2.0TDi FR. However the ECU in your car is locked so doubt they can do it yet.

*Edit* sorry, I see you have the FR so you can DPF delete it :)

Last edited:

jaffafr

I used shell's diesel I wouldn't ever touch supermarkets fuel it's
The worst fuel there is about no wonder it's soo cheap !

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
If you car is 15 months old, you must have got it in August 2010? Mine was delivered 2 September 2010. I was extremely disapointed with the number of DPF regens and how the car drove when this was happening. I complained to the Dealer and also SEAT and have had a software upgrade.

The upgrade has made the car a lot smoother when it does a regen so is easier to drive. I have never had the DPF light on, I suppose I'm lucky becuse of the mileage I do, the car had it's 30K service this week.

Go back to the dealer and complain, make sure you car has the latest version of software installed and if you get nowhere write to SEAT and complain.

jaffafr

dpf removal

ive just had a look into a dpf removal by turbopacs they said about £800 for the removal and a re-map to about 190bhp sounds good to get rid of the problem dpf

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
ive just had a look into a dpf removal by turbopacs they said about £800 for the removal and a re-map to about 190bhp sounds good to get rid of the problem dpf

Just be aware that some of the MOT regulations are changing for 2012. I woud make sure the DPF delete emmisions will pass any new MOT regs before I did it.

It will be VERY expensive to reverse the DPF delete and it's not something that you can easily bolt in for an MOT like a decat.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
P-Torque are offering it cheaper ;)

Thats where i'm going as soon as they announce the 2012 MOT regulations for emmissions.

The limits for diesels dropped from 3.0 to 1.5 for anything manufactured after 1st Aug 2008.

Just hope they don't halve it again or a DPF delete is going to be borderline even on a brand new car.

Leyburn

Thread resurrection! Just bought a 2010 Ibiza 1.4 TDi DPF, still under warranty so no fettling yet. Has anyone monitored the voltage output from the pressure differential sensor around the filter? Graph in the pdf link in post #81 looks useful.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
A bit more reading suggests that VagCom can give you a read out of what the current filte rloading %age is.
So it should be possible to get the android app Torque to do the same thing, it's just a case of tracking down which PID the gas pressure sensor reports on (I think... I'm no techy when it comes to these matters, jsut slowly tyring to build up an understanding of how it works)

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
I believe my MK5 FR is due for a DPF regen. The car seems very weird in the gears and always wants you to stay in a low gear when you would normally be able to change to 4th.
After turning of the car even for a short trip the fans are staying on which is usually a sign. Good job I am going to Cornwall Monday so it will have a mega clear out.
I think it's the DPF anyway...

Wildie

Jun 29, 2011
well our dpf light been on now for a week and after doing over 100 miles wasting fuel as the book says it`s not turning off at all, i run engine into the ground before pay up for a fault that should not happen.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Is the low fuel light on? It own't regen whilst it is....

It could also be a dodgy sensor, dealers will be able to tell you

Last edited:

Wildie

Jun 29, 2011
Is the low fuel light on? It own't regen whilst it is....

It could also be a dodgy sensor, dealers will be able to tell you

yes low fuel light is on now used up 20 quid a fuel trying to get the regen going i`l give it another go mid week funny thing is just put 20 quid in the day before and the dpf light came on next morning, this be its 3rd in 12 months since new.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise