CHIPEX - Stone chip repair kit - NEW SCN sponsor

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Been itching to try this kit out since it showed up on Saturday, but what with the weather and other goings on I haven't had time until now. I've just finished touching up 4 or 5 chips on my car (many more to go :() and have to say the kit is very good.

The first thing that impressed me was straight forward process, this didn't stop me reading the steps 2 or 3 times though just so I was 100% on exactly what I needed to do (being a novice at this stuff the last thing I wanted was to miss a small but vital step just because I was rushing at the job like a numpty) Then i had a look at the colour of the paint (not much point in carrying on if this isn't right) and it was spot on :thumbup: I hope you're paying attention Seat dealers!!!!

So I applied the paint to the freshly prepared area and after I was happy I allowed it to dry for a few minutes (didn't take too long as it was pretty warm out) then I removed the excess paint with the blending solution taking special care not to apply too much pressure (as the instructions say the solution really does do the work so don't be tempted to be too heavy handed) once again when I was happy I let this settle for a few minutes before applying the polish.

Then I applied a small amout of polish to the area and allowed it to stand for a few minutes before buffing off, stepping back and admiring my handy work :) That really is all there is to it, most of the time is spent waiting for the paint or the solution to dry before moving to the next step. A couple of the stone chips were quite deep which requires repeating the first two steps until you build up the paint level enough.

All in all a very well designed and easy kit to use and I would recommend it to anybody who needs to repair the dreaded stone chips on their car, especially before they opt for the cheaper but ultimately messy and poor finish of a touch up stick from the dealers (I've used them before and won't be using them ever again now). With a steady hand and patience you can get really good results with this, I have to admit that once or twice upon returning to the car during the drying process I had trouble locating the area I was working on as the paint match is that good!

Big thumbs up from me :thumbup: and with the group discount I would urge anybody who is toying with the idea to get in there now.

Last edited:

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Mine also turned up on Saturday and I gave it a go yesterday.

Have to agree, it's a great kit and the colour match is perfect.

I'll have to go over a few chips to build up the layers as 1 or 2 of my chips are pretty deep,

The best thing about it, is that if you do screw it up you can remove it with the blending solution and start again.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
I think I am going to get myself one of these kits but I could do with somehelp from Chipex him(her)self.

I entered my car details Seat Ibiza, when it came to the paint colour I selected Alpine White (93-00) and clicked next/order, but then on the next code it came up OEM colour L025. Is that right?? As my colour code on the sticker in the boot is L90E which is Alpine White. My car definetely aint Candy White as you could only get the mk2 in one white colour which was Alpine White.

Confused :confused:.

HuckingFell

Red Rules
Jan 22, 2009
Leicester
I'm sold after reading the above! Not keen on the idea of taking sand paper to my car so going to give this ago, even better with the discount :funk:

dreamonn

Only had my Black Magic FR 3 weeks & new chips seem to be appearing daily :(

Hopefully a weekend with the Chipex kit should sort them out :D

DrLargePants

Has a large member
Sep 27, 2004
Sombra Gris for example means Shadow Grey in Spanish, but its actually Platinum Grey here in the UK. :)

Is that deffo the right one for Platinum Grey ?

Looking in my boot colour code lookes like L57U, chipex list it as S7U :confused:

Chipex

Forum Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
Hello,

I can confirm the code is LS7U Gris Sombra Met - Platinum Silver.

Do let me know if I can help further.

Johnny

Chipex

Forum Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
Hi,

I have just checked the formulation and yes it is grey. The code is correct.

Regards,

Johnny

Chipex

Forum Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
Many thanks for your order!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

whmcal

:(doesn't seem to have worked on my small raised scratch...really disappointed. How do we get raised imperfections down without sanding? Anxious about it all because i have metallic paint with clear laquer. Don't want to ruin the new paintwork

Chipex

Forum Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
Hi whmcal, I have just read your message. The Chipex system will only work on filling chips and scratches and does not reduce paint that has been raised up. If you would like to email a photograph of the damage you have I will do my best to advise you. email: [email protected]

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Just been trying mine out on the boc and struggling a bit to be honest. Should have read a bit more here first I guess as I think I am being a bit heavy handed with the blending solution as the paint keeps disappearing hahahahahahaha. I was worried that this was going to be another one of those kits that look like the cheaper repaires you can have done. Will try it out again tomorrow with a little more patience, you can tell I am a novice right? hehehehehehe. Will report back once attempted again. Just out of interest, can you confirm what the correct colour code is for my car? It is a 2010 candy white ibiza bocanegra. My wife got me the LB9A OEM colour but it seems a little bit brighter than the standard colour. What is your policy if the match is incorrect?

Last edited:

Chipex

Forum Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
It is important to firstly make sure that there is NO polish or road film inside the chip as the paint will not adhere to this. You can use the blending solution to clean the chip hole so as to make sure that it is clean of any substance. It is also important not to apply excessive amounts of the blending solution to the cloth to remove the excess paint as this will cause the removal of the applied paint. If the stone chips are also quite deep then it is advisable to increase the drying time. This can be up to 20 minutes in some cases.

The paint supplied should be an exact match so please let me know if this is not the case as we will of course replace it. The paint does need to be dry to access this as some paints change colour slightly during the drying process.

Chipex

Forum Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
Sorry for the extremely late reply as only just seen this!!

Colour code LC9Z is Black Magic

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members