2009 Exeo - Towbar wiring colours

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Below is a list of the wire colours rom my 2009 Exeo, which I used when fitting a double towbar electrics kit:

Edit: I've added a note next to each one, where I've checked it against the B7 A4 Bentley Wiring Diagram found here: https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/....pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1306355851833

It would appear that there are several diviations from the B7 A4 wiring diagram, so don't go assuming it's correct or the same as the Exeo.

I'm still trying to find a proper Exeo wiring diagram.....

Left-hand side:

Left Indicator: Blue/Green (B7 = Blue/Green)
Left Brake: White/Red (B7 = red/black)
Left sidelight: Purple/Black (B7 = Grey/Black)
Fog light: White/Grey or Purple/Red (B7 = White/green)
Reverse: Blue/Red (B7 = Blue/Red)

Righthand side:

Right Indicator: Green/Yellow (B7 = green/black)
Right sidelight: ? (forgot to write it down!) (B7 = Red/Grey)
Right Brake: ? (forgot to write it down!) (B7 = Red/Black)
Reverse: Blue/Red (B7 = Blue/Red)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetwash and hugh_

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
These are brilliant and cheap, but only if the car has a dumb interface, if it a smart interface it will sense the trailer and alter the abs and traction control settings to cope,

I am a type approval engineer and towbars are one of my main subjects, and I have heard from within the industry that some insurance companies have been saying that if the car has a smart interface and you by pass it with a canbus bypass relay, then if anything happens while your towing, and they can argue that if the car had known you was towing you would have been ok, then they won't pay out, something to keep in mind as I guess the exeo is a smart interface taking some stuff like engines etc from the new audis

hugh_

Aug 25, 2007
Kent
Holy thread resurrection....

Thankyou Andyj for this, very helpful. I installed a wiring harness billed as being for the Exeo at the weekend, only to find that connecting the brake on the left hand side red/black as instructed showed the trailer brake lights at all times the ignition was on. Have now corrected to white/red and all is good.

First time I've done a canbus towbar electrics install and other than having to remove the trim along the offside was very easy. Still need to get it coded though, haven't decided whether its worth getting VAGCOM myself, going to the dealer, or finding someone locally who can do it.

hugh_

Aug 25, 2007
Kent
Just to follow up my previous post, I bought a vagcom to code the towbar.
If anyone needs it doing near Sevenoaks let me know.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members