Burning Smell!

Haldanexo

Jan 24, 2016
Hiya guys,

I have a Seat Ibiza Cupra on an 11 plate and had no end of problems with it!

After being told the awful rattling noise from the front was normal my drive shaft fell off while I was driving just after Christmas and let's say it soon got recovered and sent straight back to the showroom for a lot of fixing apologising and what not

Anyway! In the days leading up to the driveshaft coming off there was a horrible plasticky burning smell that would come through my heaters, it would only smell when I was still in the car, go away when driving and re appear again when I broke and came to a stop. Checked exhaust no bags/plastic caught up.

When they fixed the driveshaft I had an independent assessor come out and look at it who said there was grease on the underneath that they should clean off. I got the car back today and the burning smell is still very much present and worse than ever! Do we think this could still be grease residue burning off and if so how do I get rid once and for all or something a little worse? It's certainly becoming stronger !

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Thank you
X

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Not good, but you know that!

I'm be worried that it is an electrical component ie connector or wiring that is causing that, it needs looking into.

Only other thought I have is, is it not "nasties" in the A/C airbox, and that needs a "cleaner bomb" set off in the car?

You can buy them from most car parts places, I think that the deal is, the car is warmed up and running - and stationary, you running fan at a high speed, select recirculate, open car door, place bomb thing on the floor and activate it, close car door and wait outside for some time until it has done its job.

.-Sam6J-.

Jan 3, 2016
It might just be a simple case of something dripped/stuck on your exhaust. Have you tried changing you pollen filter? I did mine about 2/3 weeks ago and the amount of rubbish that came out was unreal.

Otherwise as said it could be an electrical component? Is it just when your heaters are on you can smell it or can you smell it with the heaters off?

Haldanexo

Jan 24, 2016
Thanks for replying guys!

When I had the independant inspection they checked all wiring in the car and noted all was how it should be which was a bit of piece of mind! I do also have HIDs so I thought at first it may be the wiring to those burning up but checked them and they all look as they should!

I have read on a couple of places it could be radiator as they have the plastic/rubber connectors - really hope it isnt as I imagine it will be pricey? In the year of ownership it has had a new engine and clutch unit so any more problems I think I'll just give up!

I will have a littloe look in the airbox and pollen filter to see if I can see anything! It was serviced October last year but I'm not sure if changing the Pollen Filter is compuslary so I'll have a check!

I drove the car this morning and as it was cold, heaters on full whack there was no smell, it seems to only appear when I have taken it on a long run or in a lot of start stop traffic, if I change it from heat to A/C you can't smell it as much, but when you get out the car you can smell it around the front under drivers and passenger wheel arches.

I had the exhaust all checked recently but they couldnt see anything of concern on it but I suppose grease or substance may not be as noticeable - back on the ramps this weekend I guess! :(

Thanks!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Oh, so you have had the CAVE engine stuff, not good! One other thing, as you are saying that the front wheel areas are where the smell is coming from, maybe touch the wheels near their centres to see if they are hot,and/or flick some water onto the discs, if they are getting far too hot, then the brakes will smell.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.