The In and Out of Kessy or more the Out

Tell

Staff member
This time last year I was checking out issues with the Kessy system before the Ateca was available in the UK and noted that a lot of issues were reported where the driver locked themselves out of the car by putting the keys in the boot. These problems ran across VAG models from 2011 at least to present.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=k...efox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=N0LBWYeqOMzHXuOFhxA

Ateca owners now find the same issue with Kessy. I believe it occurs by two factors

• Boot receiving ariel doesn't pick up the keys in the boot, whilst the cabin aerials don't reach to the boot. The former is really there to sense the keys outside of the car.
  • The car powers down systems and shuts off the Kessy sensors on parts of the car. Powering down is described in the user manual but does not mention how it works with Kessy thou.

I've had the latter on the passenger side and boot where the car doesn't respond to attempts to open it. I generally then touch the drivers door handle to open it (one finger around the driver door handle if you are not getting in but just unlocking) and everything springs back to life.

If totally locked out and have the key (e.g. Kessy not working at all or flat battery etc) this video shows you what to do and also covers basic locking and unlocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HycztXefMVw

This video covers locking and unlocking with and without starting the engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwMvPHQAaDA

The non start option is the one you do after topping up with Adblue to reset the warning, winding down the windows etc. You don't put your foot on the brake and just touch ignition. Ignition again to power off.

As far as keeping the key on your person or whereabouts in the car, you can keep the key anywhere in the cabin. I tend to use a shoulder bag so the key goes in there and when I'm by myself I hook that up over the headrest on the passenger side so any emergency stops by me or the car don't land my bag and tablet on the floor. With passenger and said bag I hook it over the rear seats. A thought out strategy of fixing down anything valuable if the car does one of it's stops is worth doing. Like rucksacks tethered with seat belt etc or items put on the floor in the first instance so they don't go flying. The brakes are pretty fierce.

The main thing is never to put the keys in the boot and close it. The problem with Kessy is you can get a bit blassy with where you keep the keys.

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
However, I once put my key inside the boot, closed it and then was told SWMBOs keys were in her bag, also in the boot.

Luckily that particular TESCO employed the useful sort of guys as trolley pushers who were also able to break into cars.

One piece of packing tape later (and a £5 tip) and we were on our way.

Last edited:

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I was told my FR would come with KESSY as standard. That’s even in my order. Then they checked again and apologized it’s not actually standard. But it seems I’m better off without it so seems I was lucky :)

Tell

Staff member
I think what is bundled in varies by country. I know Spain unbundled a lot.

Kessy is nice since you don't have to fumble with keys since open and close is done by touch so you keep your keys away. But then the default lock needs a further few seconds of hanging around till it closes the mirrors unless you VCDS / Obdeleven mod it to close them on one touch. I did that, saves messing about. You need Kessy for the virtual pedal. I think this mod will work on the key as well other than that you hold the keys for a few seconds although you could be walking away at that stage rather then holding your finger on the Kessy door handle.

A lot of people seem to get their keys stuck in their pocket on open so all windows drop and they find the car with all windows down, you can turn off easy open or whatever it's called. Some people with the virtual pedal find the cars tailgate up when returning to it. Think that latter one is a malfunction of the unit. Don't hear too many of these recently.

Tell

Staff member
However, I once put my key inside the boot, closed it and then was told SWMBOs keys were in her bag, also in the boot.

Luckily that particular TESCO employed the useful sort of guys as trolley pushers who were also able to break into cars.

One piece of packing tape later (and a £5 tip) and we were on our way.

Use to keep a piece of that in my wallet in the old days for popping up the lock, never used it mind.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise