Relay not connected (Front of Battery)

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
Loving my little Ibiza, today perfect for town work and nipping about.

When poking around when upgrading the headlight bulbs as only had it a few weeks I came across a relay (3B0951253) attached to the front of the battery / where all the wires attach under the black plastic and the behind the back of the headlight with a silver tag out the top, number : 3B0 951 253

Tucked behind the same side headlight by the radiator hose a connector that exactly fits the relay but not connected part number : 3C0 973 721

I have done some web searching and get notes about a heated windscreen don't have this / secondary coolant pump , concerning if not connected but nothing specific for my model

Is this something that should be connected or disconnected ?

I have a 2014 1.2 TSI FR, I know some times you have one side or another but to have both sides and wires all ready to connect to me it should be, but i don't want to without some idea of what it will do.

It has 2 very small switching wires and 2 much larger so obviously has some current going through it when connected.

Anyone else on the forum got this connector and is it connected or should i just leave it alone......

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
Found the issue; and what it’s connected to connected back up and all is ok must have been disconnected by previous owner or neve from build.

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
Nothing to do with the lights it seems to split the cooling system, since connected it warms up a lot quicker in the winter, I found these details on another website :

http://skoda-fabia-israel.blogspot.com/2013/04/cooling-system.html

looks to be similar and same engine number, been running for a year now connected and no issues so assume was just left disconnected when maybe the garage removed the battery, always too ages to warm on a frosty morning now a lot quicker as looks like splits the cooling in half for quicker warm up

Interesting read when you have 5 mins

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I suppose this has been done to aid getting the engine up to full operating temperature quickly, one thing that all these newer 1.2TSI and others seem to suffer from is improved thermal efficiency so they waste less heat which in turn means that they take longer to het up even with a split coolant system.
In normally running starting from -5C ambient, my wife's August 2015 1.2TSI 110PS Polo takes 1 miles of "light" 30MPH driving, with cabin fan switched off, to reach the ideal indicated 90Cish coolant temperature, but if we start off under same conditions but head out of town and up a long hill, then it reaches its point after 0.5 mile as the engine is working harder.

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
Yes, and I thought the info may be of use to someone somewhere as it took me a while to find. I didn't even dare approach the garage so glad I found the forum... now have an Ibiza and a Leon so Seat family expanding....

We did a cold start test ibiza vs diesel ford I have and my diesel warmed up quicker at idle than the ibiza but now connected is warming up much better was just wary before just connecting it as never know what it will do and if left for an accessory, but as it fitted and on finding the details above all makes sense.

Gets toasty in minutes now so all in all happy now..

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes a bit strange to find relay disconnected, if I was being nasty I'd suspect that it has been in a SEAT dealership for some work and they left it off - that comment is based on my finding a disconnected lead on my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL after it had been in for a new gearbox top mounting - it was the battery condition module feed back to the smart changing controller, idiots!