how do i get tv on my blaupunkt stereo?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
OK, found something on VAGCAT;

919250.png

Item 30 appears to be that Ebay control box, but without a frame of reference I don't know where in the car it sits. They call it 'electronic control unit for dynamic navigation system'.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Sorry, it says absolutely nothing! I can't even find the wiring loom that goes from the head unit to the control box to give a hint on what is connected to where!!

Sometime tomorrow I'll boot up my Elsa image and see if there is anything in there.

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
No worries.

I'll wire the new antenna tomorrow AGAIN. And try to be patient for 20-30 mins and wait if something comes up satellites wise.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
OK, managed to get to Elsa. That control box is mounted between the glovebox and the passenger airbag. You can get to it by removing the glovebox.

What may be of interest to you is that the aerial doesn't go from the roof to the head unit, it goes through this box first. I'm assuming that when you tested the aerial you plugged it straight into the head unit? It would be what I would be doing!

Perhaps it would be good to pop the glovebox out to see if there is anything looking wrong on that box?

Also, VAGCOM can access the head unit and retrieve fault codes, have you thought about doing a scan?

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Don't have VAGCOM so would need to drop by my local garage to do that. Will try it out if the glovebox search turns up nothing. Sounds like a bit of a pig to get the glovebox out. Will try just now :D

Keep you posted. Thanks for the info.

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Could not fully dismantle the glove box as I don't have a T25 bit butsaw quite a bit of what's behind. are you sure it is there -- seems there is no space between top of cd changer and airbag?

no difference between connected and disconnected antenna. going for a drive now to see if it decides to kick in.

fixed the glove box light though :)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
That's what the picture shows, it's fixed on a bracket underneath the airbag. I don't think it's a huge box, maybe only an inch or two tall?

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Ok, I might give it a go looking for it. Below is why it's a "might" and not "will".

I had some luck today with the new antenna. Yesterday, I decided to be persistent so wired the new antenna to come out in the glove so that it can be stored there. Today, I had to drive home and back to the office in my lunch break, so decided to stick the GPS on and see what happens.

Eventually I noticed that the the number of available satellites went up from saying nothing to 27. I took out the antenna from the glove box and put it on the dash, and in about 5-10 minutes later voila -- got "connected" to 6 satellites and my position was spot on.

It seems that the "cold" start on the GPS is very very slow. In total, I think it took about 40 minutes to get the lock.

Success :) I am going to test it a bit more to see if it keeps working, then I am going to hope that the antenna works from inside the glove box as well so that I don't have to fiddle with it every time. EDIT: I just realised that I could get it to come out the side of the dash and rest in the corner of the window, now that sounds better :)

Now to investigate the squeak coming from the clutch -- it never ends does it :(

Last edited:

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Well I spoke too soon. No signal again on my way home, though it did navigate me correctly over the 6 miles across town :confused: I guess it's the inertial navigation system doing its thing.

I guess I'll be gutting the glove box then...

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
OK, I've taken one more (sideways) step to getting some sort of picture on the screen. I've bought myself an Arduino Uno, after reading about someone on here using it for a boost gauge I thought I'd see what they're about. It would appear that the Arduino is fast enough to output a basic video signal, so the first step will be to see if I can get some sort of white box on the screen.

I'll be using this as a guide;

http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tvout/

I'm hoping that because I can control the signal and it's timing I can find out what the head unit needs. The plan had been to use a PC output, but I couldn't find a laptop that was within my price range AND had the necessary graphics chip to allow flexibility with the signal.

Once I have control of an image on the screen (albeit very ceefax-esque judging by the screen shots!), I'll then look at using this library;

http://code.google.com/p/opengauge/wiki/OBDuinoInterface

to connect to my ELM327 lead.

At least, that's the plan... It would be nice if it stopped raining for a couple of hours while I tried things out!

Craig_swansea

has anyone thought of using a raspberry pi as the input into the headunit?
It is powered by 12v usb, it can out put in various signals, running a linux install like xbmc, for all media, and can also have a 3g signal if you used a 3g dongle on it!
i've got one here, but am unsure if i could fit a double din in my 2003 tolly????

marculos

May 16, 2010
Pii

has anyone thought of using a raspberry pi as the input into the headunit?
It is powered by 12v usb, it can out put in various signals, running a linux install like xbmc, for all media, and can also have a 3g signal if you used a 3g dongle on it!
i've got one here, but am unsure if i could fit a double din in my 2003 tolly????

Craig I was thinking of doing the same with a Pii. The regular sound output from a Pii is not great, might be worth getting a DAC of some descriptiom. Anyway XBMC or Volumio should work great.. I'm thinking share the Internet connection on my phone and connect via wifi to my Pi to remote control it though unsure if this would work needs testing. Sadly the composite video output doesnt work on the MFD .. you need RGB/VGA I think . I'm using a Sega Saturn cable for audio and works great. I use a bluetooth headset and Cortana on my Windows phone to voice control my music..

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise