Changed my timing belt, something is off

johanbaguca

Jul 23, 2017
Hey guys,

I recently bought a 2001 Toledo 1.9 Tdi 110hp,

I had the timing belt changed but now the car is sounding a bit rough, and i thinks its using a bit more fuel than before,

Could this be because of the timing belt or is there some other hidden issue underneath?

Kinda worried now that it will kill my engine,

Also some photos of the car,

Cheers

fca1537e3c21efaa4d1c3cfff8213da8.jpg
8347497ed873b38b9324691268c9fcc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
When you say the engine sounds rough, do you mean as though it's running on three cylinders not four or that it sounds like a load of hammers when accelerated. If either of these then some clever person has done one of the following:-
1. Got the timing out between the crank and camshaft......this would usually make the engine sound really bad if it went at all
2 Got the timing between the fuel pump and the crank out which would make it sound as if on three cylinders.
3 the crank, cam AND pump are out of sync which would usually mean forget it nothing goes at all.

It only takes one of the belt pulleys to be ONE TOOTH OUT to make it act like you describe.

Lastly and I hope this hasn't occurred BUT when the belt was changed whoever did it turned it over on the starter before making sure that the engine would turn by hand with the result that pistons have kissed valves and bent them, these engines are an interference fit and it only takes one mistake to make them a scrapdealers choice..

johanbaguca

Jul 23, 2017
When you say the engine sounds rough, do you mean as though it's running on three cylinders not four or that it sounds like a load of hammers when accelerated. If either of these then some clever person has done one of the following:-

1. Got the timing out between the crank and camshaft......this would usually make the engine sound really bad if it went at all

2 Got the timing between the fuel pump and the crank out which would make it sound as if on three cylinders.

3 the crank, cam AND pump are out of sync which would usually mean forget it nothing goes at all.

It only takes one of the belt pulleys to be ONE TOOTH OUT to make it act like you describe.

Lastly and I hope this hasn't occurred BUT when the belt was changed whoever did it turned it over on the starter before making sure that the engine would turn by hand with the result that pistons have kissed valves and bent them, these engines are an interference fit and it only takes one mistake to make them a scrapdealers choice..

Hi! Thanks for the answer!

It actually just sounds louder and more diesely than before, its has a "dry" noise i would describe it.

It basically louder than before and uses more fuel this would be my prognosis of the case.

Now even the EGR valve has started to act up, this Toledo is not going well

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
Ah the EGR a right royal pain the rear, if you are able remove the little blighter and see if it's covered in soot if so carefully clean it off and reinstall, if this is all that it is then you should recover all the performance.
I take it that all the other items I put forward have been discounted?
One last thing ....is the oil level either too high or low as too much is as bad as not enough.
Hope all goes well
Old Bloke

johanbaguca

Jul 23, 2017
Ah the EGR a right royal pain the rear, if you are able remove the little blighter and see if it's covered in soot if so carefully clean it off and reinstall, if this is all that it is then you should recover all the performance.
I take it that all the other items I put forward have been discounted?
One last thing ....is the oil level either too high or low as too much is as bad as not enough.
Hope all goes well
Old Bloke

I got it checked and seems as if timing is ok, they are giving me options of fuel pump not working properly, clutch may be faulty and egr. So this weekend im removing the egr and cleaning it hopefully the youtube tutorials will be instructive enough and we will see how it goes after that id like to get that pull after 2000rpm back

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
I take it the car was fine before the belt was changed therefore I fail to see how it can be the fuel pump, the clutch will do three things...
1 work properly
2 clutch will slip with the engine revs rising but your road speed will stay the same
3 clutch bearing will either squeal or seize.
Have a check of all the small pipes under the bonnet to see if any of them have been kinked , split of left off by those who did the timing belt.
From my view I would go to another garage as yours seems to be a rip off merchant, should be plenty of independent SEAT repairers out there.
Old Bloke

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Cleaning the EGR is quite easy but if caked in carbon will take a while and be a black dirty job! Go to poundland and get a couple of cans of oven cleaner.

If the EGR is caked then the bet is that the turbo will equally be and so could the inlet manifold.

If the above is needed then you will experience a nice power gain from where it was.

Having a caked EGR will not make it noisy but as the engine is working harder to breath correctly you could be applying more power to get the same results (speed) and thereby pushing your fuel consumption up.

Did they replace the belt tensioner? A worn one can get noisy.

Sounds silly but did it have an engine cover before and they "forgot" to replace it? That has sound deadening material under it. Although the foam will be towards the end of it's life by now anyway.

Have you had it checked for fault codes?

Last edited:

johanbaguca

Jul 23, 2017
Cleaning the EGR is quite easy but if caked in carbon will take a while and be a black dirty job! Go to poundland and get a couple of cans of oven cleaner.

If the EGR is caked then the bet is that the turbo will equally be and so could the inlet manifold.

If the above is needed then you will experience a nice power gain from where it was.

Having a caked EGR will not make it noisy but as the engine is working harder to breath correctly you could be applying more power to get the same results (speed) and thereby pushing your fuel consumption up.

Did they replace the belt tensioner? A worn one can get noisy.

Sounds silly but did it have an engine cover before and they "forgot" to replace it? That has sound deadening material under it. Although the foam will be towards the end of it's life by now anyway.

Have you had it checked for fault codes?

Hi Verbal!

Thank you for the reply, im opening the EGR today and checking it out, i also noticed some cracks on the plastic pipes leading to the fuel filter (not the transparent ones).

Belt tensioner, belt and water pump came together as a kit and they were changed, engine cover was in place of course

Fault codes nothing appears when i get a reading except temp sensor,

Another thing, TCS light constantly on 10 sec after start up,

And another thing....losing coolant somewhere....

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
TCS light staying on when stationary is often a fault with one of the sensors or the wiring to them, or reporting a stored fault.

If you can scan, check 03 module - ABS brakes.

Cracked fuel lines - mine look worse than yours, one day I'll replace.

Have you checked your fuel filter and opened the water drain at the bottom?

Coolant loss - You're having fun with your car! Check the obvious but small holes in water pipes can be closed and well hidden until under pressure which opens the hole, so look for dry coolant stains. If you are getting significant loss but no obvious signs do a head leak test to make sure the head gasket is OK.

Last edited:

johanbaguca

Jul 23, 2017
TCS light staying on when stationary is often a fault with one of the sensors or the wiring to them, or reporting a stored fault.

If you can scan, check 03 module - ABS brakes.

Cracked fuel lines - mine look worse than yours, one day I'll replace.

Have you checked your fuel filter and opened the water drain at the bottom?

Coolant loss - You're having fun with your car! Check the obvious but small holes in water pipes can be closed and well hidden until under pressure which opens the hole, so look for dry coolant stains. If you are getting significant loss but no obvious signs do a head leak test to make sure the head gasket is OK.

ABS works properly and there are no fault codes so i dont know where the fault is with tcs

Fuel filter was fine but it looks a bit dirty even though its new,

And regarding coolant loss im starting to think its the sensor, i didnt fill it up with coolant when it started beeping and then while driving it stopped, is it a common fault these water sensors? I get the blinking red light when i start the car on the temp gauge immediately

I should start a vlog for this car with all the work im putting on it

johanbaguca

Jul 23, 2017
ABS works properly and there are no fault codes so i dont know where the fault is with tcs

Fuel filter was fine but it looks a bit dirty even though its new,

And regarding coolant loss im starting to think its the sensor, i didnt fill it up with coolant when it started beeping and then while driving it stopped, is it a common fault these water sensors? I get the blinking red light when i start the car on the temp gauge immediately

I should start a vlog for this car with all the work im putting on it

Just an update on this,

Head gasket blew because of wrong timing car was phased in on 4th gear and was in advance timing.

That explained the coolant issues, and the tcs lights and pretty much everything that was wrong.

Replaced it, runs like a dream