Ibiza Electronic Rear Windows

monkeyhanger

May 7, 2018
Looking for a 5 door replacement to our 2nd car, a 3 door Audi A1 1.6TDI, which has been almost faultless and gives amazing mpg.

Currently, the wife has a short commute and I have a long one, so unfortunately she has my Golf R during the week to keep the fuel bills and mileage for both cars reasonable (A1 isn't used at the weekend). After something fun/reasonably economical, well equipped that is either reasonably cheap outright, or has great residuals that either myself or the wife wouldn't mind to drive. Being a VW fan, first choice was a new Polo GTI+, but currently only available in DSG (I hate DSG with a passion). Guessing it will be available in a manual when the new model year comes in (usually BW22), but the current waits are ridiculous (42 weeks!).

Looked also at 5 Door Mini Cooper/Mini Cooper S. Was shocked at how poor the residuals are, so I wouldn't buy new. Forecourt prices for 14 month old Cooper S 5 door is about £15k from £26k new! I'd cry if i'd lost £11k on a £26k car in just over a year. 5 door doesn't look half as ok as a 3 door model.

Also looked at the Ibiza FR 1.5 EVO with LED headlights, parking sensors and metallic paint. £4k discount looks to be achievable via brokers. Sounds great. Good economy (for a petrol - those 1.0TSI units in various states of tune may score highly for economy on the test cycle, but in the real world, you'll be pushing them hard all the time). I like the outside a lot, the interior looks a little cheaper than i'm used to (especially door cards), but I can live with that as the Polo also seems to have become a little cheaper in that regard also), pretty well equipped, reasonably priced options, and then we see those wind-up windows in the rear. They really cheapen the car. Not only that, but with 2 inquisitive young girls in tow (3 and 5, who won't leave anything alone), I really don't them to have control over the windows and open them at speed on a motorway to create that horrible air buffeting you get when the rear windows are open above 30mph. Why the hell did Seat not offer electric rears as an option? Apart from the wind-up rear windows, we were both sold on the car's interior and exterior looks ad equipment at the price point we could get it for. Not sure whether I can justify it (the wife thinks it is a deal breaker), although to be fair, the Seat would probably still be the car that doesn't generally get used on the weekend
and the girls would be in it for pre-school breakfast club drop-off.
Fabia is the ugly duckling of the VAG supermini range, would not consider it. If I thought that I could get a silly discount on a run-out S1, or that the new A1 would be reasonable with some actual equipment in the price, i'd consider that also, if it was available right now.

Local Arnold Shark dealership didn't seem that keen on selling me a Seat at all (seems a common theme I've seen with the Seat dealerships around Tyne and Wear over the past 10 years, my main reason for sticking with VW). They implied that lead times on the 1.5 EVO engine are huge - can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
They implied that lead times on the 1.5 EVO engine are huge - can anyone confirm?
They're more than huge - the engine has been withdrawn from ordering and will likely not reopen until Q4 2018.

See here.

monkeyhanger

May 7, 2018
^That's a real shame, probably puts the Ibiza out of contention for me. I definitely don't want a highly wound up 1 litre engine, they are just not economical at all. An engine that is always being worked hard to do even the most mundane stuff is not going to be giving you more than 40mpg.

I personally think VAG has lost the plot recently - ridiculous lead times on many models, cost cutting in the most obvious areas (seen how cheap the VW TRoc looks inside?). The new test cycle shouldn't bother them, i've always found VAG mpgs more realistic than most other marques.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Just did a 300 mile drive in a petrol Mini Cooper 7. What a piece of cr4p!

The only things of any merit were the front seats. It doesn't have any space, the interior design and layout prioritises form over function everywhere - switches are scattered around in stupid places (2 separate fog light buttons near your right knee for instance). Also the power output would seem to be lies as it felt barely any faster than the SEAT 1.0/110 despite having an alleged 136bhp. The mpg is atrocious too. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Oh and SEAT residuals suck too. Unless you buy from dealer stock with a massive discount in the first place.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Good economy (for a petrol - those 1.0TSI units in various states of tune may score highly for economy on the test cycle, but in the real world, you'll be pushing them hard all the time). I like the outside a lot, the interior looks a little cheaper than i'm used to (especially door cards), but I can live with that as the Polo also seems to have become a little cheaper in that regard also), pretty well equipped, reasonably priced options, and then we see those wind-up windows in the rear.

I barely have to 'push' my 1.0TSI 110 DSG to make any progress, car auto changes up around or just under 2k (this part annoys me, wondering if I can 'teach' the gearbox to change it at least at 2k or just over 2k like my old 2.0 TDI DSG). Compared to N/A engines in a Golf 1.6 FSI and Mini One (1.4), those needs at least 3k revs to move anywhere without holding up traffic. And they are 113PS and 95PS respectively, but they seem well down on torque, or torque is higher up the revs.
Yesterdays bank holiday afternoon city driving with some 40-50mph motorways, significant traffic with AC on thrown in, i got just shy of 48mpg over 60 miles according to the trip PC. But yes, achieving decent fuel economy needs some trying (and patience).

And yes Seat (or maybe it's a VW thing) seems to understate their power figures, all across the engine range. Not complaining though! Couldn't find any 'real' dyno figures anywhere, but...when they put a 1.0TSI Up on the Dyno, it outputted 134, instead of the low 100s it's suppose to.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...eals-actual-output-is-134-hp-video-98828.html

By back to the topic of rear electric windows, Seat makes some strange decisions for the 'UK market.' Maybe someone at Seat was already annooyed they had to move the steering to the other side, so a 'punishment' they will pull out option for rear electric windows, and not bother chaging the thing around, (some things like, handbrake angle in the Leon, and the buttons by the side of the gear, inc push to start one in Ibiza). At least Ibiza/Arona still gets old school handbrake!

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
And yes Seat (or maybe it's a VW thing) seems to understate their power figures, all across the engine range. Not complaining though! Couldn't find any 'real' dyno figures anywhere, but...when they put a 1.0TSI Up on the Dyno, it outputted 134, instead of the low 100s it's suppose to.

In my experience the 1.0 and 1.2 both feel like they have more than the official number. However it does sound like the Brazilian car had been "prepared" for the press. If they had just wandered into a VW dealer, bought one, and dyno'd it after running it in I'd wager it wouldn't give 134. That said, I read many reports of the old chain drive 1.2 exceeding its rated 105PS - giving 116 or even more in some independent tests.

monkeyhanger

May 7, 2018
Considering the big discounts available and relatively well equipped to keep the options down, depreciation on what I would actually pay is quite reasonable on the Seat (losing about 50% of monies paid after 3 years). Always seen more hp than advertised from all but one of my 8 VAG cars bought from new, running in on mixed driving and treating it a bit mean when warm. A very gentle run-in causes poor output and oil consumption. The current A1 pulls like a MK5 Golf 140TDI.

Was not too fussed on the mini myself, the wife seems keen though, hated the look of the very offset pedals (all pushed right), though never took the test drive to see how uncomfortable it would actually be.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The big difference is your colour. You chose white which is fashionable so that's good. White cars resale last year was a few hundred more than silver or dark metallics (which cost more in the first place) and several hundred more than less popular / off the wall colours like Lime Green, Yellow, Orange etc.

That will make more difference to your resale than any options you've ticked.

Historically, top of the range cars depreciate the most unfortunately, but you've said it's likely a keeper so it doesn't really matter.

My last SEAT trade in realised only 32% of the RRP at 3.5 years old, although that was 41% of what I paid, so it wasn't terrible when you figure in that I got 42% off the replacement's RRP too.

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
The big difference is your colour. You chose white which is fashionable so that's good. White cars resale last year was a few hundred more than silver or dark metallics (which cost more in the first place) and several hundred more than less popular / off the wall colours like Lime Green, Yellow, Orange etc.

That will make more difference to your resale than any options you've ticked.

Historically, top of the range cars depreciate the most unfortunately, but you've said it's likely a keeper so it doesn't really matter.

My last SEAT trade in realised only 32% of the RRP at 3.5 years old, although that was 41% of what I paid, so it wasn't terrible when you figure in that I got 42% off the replacement's RRP too.
I don’t know. If there are very few cars with alcantara and even less with the 1.5. Seen many 1.4 ACT ibizAs advertised as ‘rare’ because they also had alcantara.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
And very nice the alcantara interiors are in Ibiza 5,6 and Toledo too.

But a Cupra 300 is rare, few Ibizas are - Bocanegra of course but that's about it.

There are other push pull factor's too.

" One teenage owner from new" versus "Owned by elderly couple" for instance...

Just don't get your hopes up too much. A young lad who worked for me lost 50% on a TT that he had for just over a year. Even with Audi residual values.

Compared with him, at least you're on a lease so you have options.

Last edited:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
^That's a real shame, probably puts the Ibiza out of contention for me. I definitely don't want a highly wound up 1 litre engine, they are just not economical at all. An engine that is always being worked hard to do even the most mundane stuff is not going to be giving you more than 40mpg.

I personally think VAG has lost the plot recently - ridiculous lead times on many models, cost cutting in the most obvious areas (seen how cheap the VW TRoc looks inside?). The new test cycle shouldn't bother them, i've always found VAG mpgs more realistic than most other marques.

I'm on the slower 95hp 1.0TSI and I can say as someone that went from a 3.5L 350z to this, You don't need to wind it up as much as you think. My average MPG is currently 50 suprising is how I'd explain the engine.

I'd like a bit more, maybe 120hp? But thats only because I want to throw it round the welsh hills.

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
" One teenage owner from new" versus "Owned by elderly couple" for instance...

That is by choice to advertise as that. Many people advertise as elderly with that good old perception that they never took the car over 4,000 rpm and did about 2 miles a week. More money.
Advertising as a teenager owner would be completely stupid, and if a buyer asked you who previously drive it, you’re completely entitled to say nothing.

IrnBru

Apr 4, 2018
That is by choice to advertise as that. Many people advertise as elderly with that good old perception that they never took the car over 4,000 rpm and did about 2 miles a week. More money.
Advertising as a teenager owner would be completely stupid, and if a buyer asked you who previously drive it, you’re completely entitled to say nothing.

(I really don't mean to offend anyone here, but I probably will) but When I bought used cars from gumtree, the thing I hated most was "previous lady owner" and that would be that, I would just click off the page, I couldn't think of anything worse.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I agree. If my son had one, I would sell it for him and lie about the ownership.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
You try to do your best when selling. New cars are a terrible investment, but most people want one. All you can hope for is to maximise the deal when getting rid of it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.