FR Ambient Lighting

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
So on my new FR the ambient lighting can be changed between white and red. The red looks far nicer imho. However you can only seem to change the door lights to red and not the footwell ones. I took out the light holder hoping it was just an LED bulb but is a little circuit board with an LED on it. Anyone got any ideas on how to make these lights red as well?

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
how do you do that though? Theyre now just bulbs but a little board with the led attached to it and 2 prongs

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
i took one out to have a look hoping it was just a sball bulb but its a complete unit. If you prise it appart its a small circuit board with a single LED attached to it. This leads to a 2 pin connector. This is all housed in a plastic "box" which clips into the holder in the footwell. Not sure where youd get this?

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
You'll have to remove the old LED, then solder a new one; and maybe an additional resistor in series with it to reduce the voltage (red ones usually work on lower voltage than white or blue ones). If you don't have a soldering iron, any electrician should be willing to do the replacement for a beer. LEDs usually don't have to be of the exact same type, as long as they mechanically fit into the assembly.

kvasir15

Mar 28, 2015
Glasgow
You definitely do not need to solder any LEDs. There are red LEDs sold in America that fit as I bought them for my Cupra. I can't find the link or remember where I bought them from but I'll have a look and see if I can find them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

kvasir15

Mar 28, 2015
Glasgow
It was deautokey I got them from - they are mk7 golf lights but work a treat.

deautokey com /product/mk7-gti-single-color-footwell-leds-choose-from-red-blue-or-white

(Can't post links yet)

kvasir15

Mar 28, 2015
Glasgow
found these from the UK which are aready made up so no changing the board over. Do all the VW group footwell lights fit the same connection and space?

Yeah. The ones I got were either from a gti or an audi can't remember. I had an issue with the drivers side one where I had to use a bit of force to put it back in its hole but mainly because of the location it isn't as sturdy ad the passenger side.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.