PD150 Rough starter

clag

Dec 28, 2016
Evening all.

I've had my leon mk1 for a year now, done 20k miles in it and it always starts within a few cranks.

Theres just a couple of bits that are niggling a bit.

As i say, it starts first time, but most of the time its rough for a few seconds like its running on 3 and smokey until it clears.

The EML comes on once in a while for a glow plug, its always either 1 or 3 but this afternoon i changed all 4 and it still did it so im thinking it may be the wiring loom. Where does the loom run from and to?

The fuel filter is new, i did that a month ago along with a full service and i have run a diesel purge fuel treatment which definitely perked things up a bit.

I have checked the cam for wear and its pristine.

Any advice would be great.

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
If its like my wiring loom it runs from behind the air filter box (plugs in), runs under the air filter box and up to the plugs. Mine throws an error all the time for plug 4. Its not the plugs as they have been changed and checked.
I haven't got around to changing the loom yet - apparently there are several different types (and you have to get the right one), and I can't see any serial numbers on my leads, so haven't progressed to ordering any

clag

Dec 28, 2016
Thank you :)

Eventually il get around to yanking out the inlet manifold and cleaning it too its just motivation

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
Just looked on the TPS site for the leads using the code 038971220D, but it didn't come up with anything

clag

Dec 28, 2016
Any idea where the point of failure is usually? The reason i ask is because i can make a new loom no problem using new connectors ect

clag

Dec 28, 2016
I havent but i have found what looks to be the cause. the loom itself is fine but the clips that go on the top of the spark plugs were corroded. ive cleaned them up and the EML hasnt come on since