sub and amp install (now updating to include full Amped speakers too!!)

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
speaking of sub and amp installs, does anyone have a boot build? And does anyone know how much space subwoofers need for expansion? I know it changes a lot, if it helps, I'm looking at 10" subs atm.

ty

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
speaking of sub and amp installs, does anyone have a boot build? And does anyone know how much space subwoofers need for expansion? I know it changes a lot, if it helps, I'm looking at 10" subs atm.

ty

it all depends on the type of sub mate. have a look at the manufacturers specification for box size etc.

a 12" vibe will require a different volume box from a 12" JL audio.

Pippy_V264LMO

Hi Adam, what a great thread! I've been rattling my brain wondering how to install a sub/amp in my V reg Ibiza! Only one question though, my Ibiza came with a tape player as standard, and I have been told that some came with multi-disk changers in the boot. However mine hasn't got they disc changer, can I still install the sub/amp to the tape player, or is a cd player in the front required? If so, is it easy/expensive to perform this conversion? Also, the HU screen is damaged/ faulty, I've recieved a quote from my local seat dealer for nearly 300 quid!!!! Do you know of any breakers where I might be able to get this part cheaper??? Once again, great thread, and any help is muchly appreciated. Cheers, Pippy

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Hi Adam, what a great thread! I've been rattling my brain wondering how to install a sub/amp in my V reg Ibiza! Only one question though, my Ibiza came with a tape player as standard, and I have been told that some came with multi-disk changers in the boot. However mine hasn't got they disc changer, can I still install the sub/amp to the tape player, or is a cd player in the front required? If so, is it easy/expensive to perform this conversion? Also, the HU screen is damaged/ faulty, I've recieved a quote from my local seat dealer for nearly 300 quid!!!! Do you know of any breakers where I might be able to get this part cheaper??? Once again, great thread, and any help is muchly appreciated. Cheers, Pippy

Right first off. my car did not have a cd changer when i purchsed it so i installed one myself.
im using a Alpine mp3 / cd changer...

this one to be exact
http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/MP3_Products/Aftermarket_MP3_Changers/Alpine_CHA-S634[/QUOTE]

basically the CD changer cable is in the boot on the passanger side, under the carpet behind where the cd changer should be installed.

YOU DO NOT NEED A CD CHANGER for the sub / amp install, its just nice have a cd changer!
----------------------------

the HU screen is best picked up from a scrappy, (i picked one up for £30) sencond hand from a scrap yard. best thng to do is search.

if you need any help drop me a PM and your phone number or MSN and im more than happy to help as much as i can.

Adam

antnee

With the CD changer you have, you say it plays mp3 CD's. Did you have to add anything else in? or was it just plug it in and away you go?

Also does the HU recognise folders and read song titles?

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
With the CD changer you have, you say it plays mp3 CD's. Did you have to add anything else in? or was it just plug it in and away you go?

Also does the HU recognise folders and read song titles?

the cd changer works fine - plug and play
basically you write MP3's to a CD and make it an MP3 CD then its fine.

unfortunatly you cannot scan through folders as the standard HU is not able to make use of this function.
also again it does not show song titles, again this is unfortunate but i live with it.

just write what albums you have on your CD and what tracks they are from and to.
i have one CD that has25 albums on 1 cd and a total of 300 songs, can be a bit of a night mare navigating through so i decided to keep a most of 5 albums per cd and genra collate them.

having 30+ albums in a 6cd changer does have its upsides though!

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
Excellent thread, thanks for this

Right I'm gonna give it a go, but should I remove the negative part of the battery before wiring anything? I've read somewhere before that I should

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Excellent thread, thanks for this

Right I'm gonna give it a go, but should I remove the negative part of the battery before wiring anything? I've read somewhere before that I should

disconnect the battery compleatly (both + and - terminals) this ensures that no shorts occure and damage any systems or equipment

1L19

Sep 1, 2008
Barnstaple
Is there any other way of connecting the remote lead to the REM? I'm not an electrician or anything like that and I don't think I've done it right behind the hu (not working) :(

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
right...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the black cable marked is the REM FOR THE HU! pair in to this however you want to do it just make sure it wont short on anything!
DSC04566.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on the cable marked, have you cut the cable ? or have you paired in to this ?

i cannot really help out too much without chatting to you so if you give me a call on: 0 7 9 1 7 4 2 2 1 3 8 and we can discuss you problem (please be in your car with the HU out and ready with tools please as this will save time)

adam :)

thejollywodger

Oct 10, 2008
right i have followed teh guide and all wired in.

yesterday i had the power light on on the amp but the sub was not going :( so i tried to adjust the rca converter and the adjuster snapped!

today i thought i would check the earth just in case so loosened the cable and no change other than the amp light no longer comes on. i have checked the fuse at teh battery and amp and they are fine.

help...any suggestions?

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
right i have followed teh guide and all wired in.

yesterday i had the power light on on the amp but the sub was not going :( so i tried to adjust the rca converter and the adjuster snapped!

today i thought i would check the earth just in case so loosened the cable and no change other than the amp light no longer comes on. i have checked the fuse at teh battery and amp and they are fine.

help...any suggestions?

if the power light is on on the amp, that shows the amp is on.

since you have snapped the adjuster on the converter you may have completly broken it. so you may need a new one.

it also sounds like your earth is bad. what gague cable are you using and how have you earthed it, and where have you earthed it?

Adam

thejollywodger

Oct 10, 2008
i used one of the rear light bulbs...i thought i may have fubard the converter. i may move the earth tho. can't remember the gauge cdertainly not 0 gauge tho :) having to use long phono leads too as i don't have any short ones.

the amp light only went out when i moved the earth whilst connected...not the best move lol hence i checked the fuses but they are fine

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
i used one of the rear light bulbs...i thought i may have fubard the converter. i may move the earth tho. can't remember the gauge cdertainly not 0 gauge tho :) having to use long phono leads too as i don't have any short ones.

the amp light only went out when i moved the earth whilst connected...not the best move lol hence i checked the fuses but they are fine

blimey... never disconnect an earth when a unit is powered up.:cry:

use the spare wheel stud as an earth.

my phono leads are 10m long but they run from just under the steering wheel to the boot.

thejollywodger

Oct 10, 2008
blimey... never disconnect an earth when a unit is powered up.:cry:

use the spare wheel stud as an earth.

my phono leads are 10m long but they run from just under the steering wheel to the boot.

did not disconnect just loosened it.

other than that would the rca thing be the issue?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise