How To: Disable Airbags

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
WARNING - This is for experienced vag com users and i cannot be hold repsonsible if you mess it up and get a face full of air bag.

1) Open Vag Com

2) Go into Airbags

2) Click on 10-Adaptation

3) Click up for the channel number to get to channel 01. This is the passenger front airbag channel. The value is 0 (zero) for 'enabled'. Click the up arrow to make it a '1'. Click 'Save' and confirm the prompt. This will disable that airbag.

For the other airbags, disabling them is a matter of choosing a different channel.
1 - passenger front
2 - driver front (steering wheel)
3 - passenger side (seat airbag)
4 - driver side
5 - passenger belt tensioner
6 - driver belt tensioner

Enabling the airbag is just a matter of performing the same steps but decrementing the channel value from 1 to 0.

Go back out into Airbags and clear the fault codes.

When an airbag is disabled, the airbag light will light on the cluster for the normal 4 seconds when you first turn the starter key to the on position, then additionally flash for 12 seconds.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Just a wee query-any particular reason for posting this up-is it a request from someone?
I certainly wouldnt want to disable the airbags for any reason.

I've removed my front seats to fit fixed buckets and as they dont have airbags it throws up an air bag light.

This can also be used when you fit a steering wheel without an airbag.

markoos

Simples!
Feb 1, 2004
Cumbernauld
Visit site
Ah right-okley dokley-as I said just a query.Never even thought of that to be honest,but have just finished a long night-shift weekend stint,with not much sleep so brain still fuddled.

markoos

Simples!
Feb 1, 2004
Cumbernauld
Visit site
Lol nope,am off til Saturday early shift.Finished at 7am this morning,but didnt get much sleep,due to shorty running about and shouting out loud"Peppa pig's on,daddy"at 10am,but I digress.

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
i done this today....

the car is now loads loads faster due to the airbag light not draining power anymore!!!

or not, but it did work :D:D:D

May 2, 2006
:yes: done this myself last week

only annoying thing is airbag light still flashes for a few seconds when engine is turned over before vanishing..... for a strange reason it keeps catching my eye just as im about to pull off and i find myself staring at it waiting for it to go off :lol: but im sure its something i can live with :)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Nice info, thanks. Just a query regarding the flashing, has that caused any issues come MOT time? I wouldn't have expected so, but it would be nice to know for sure.

neville_bartoz

as long as the light goes out after 5 or 10 seconds its fine

sjeb1967

did this over the weekend b4 removing standard seats airbag light remains on so does this need to be done when i install my new bagless seats?cheers

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.