Clutch pedal on the floor

Fallen Angel

Leon Cupra 1.8T 20v 180
The sensor in question sounds like the clutch switch to me, was it mounted on the clutch assembly it self so that when the clutch is at rest state it presses the switch?

Yes that's the one

I don't think its normal for the pedal to wobble and it might be worth getting it looked at, you definitely did all the bolts up on it didnt you? It does of course depend how much its wobbling and if your feeling it with your foot or hand.

Yep everything back in place as it should be and tightened up, i didn't do it myself but i double checked it. I can feel it wobble with my foot, i'd say it wobbles around a cm either way, it's not moving side to side on the main bolt though if you get what i mean.

sjr50

I got my car back a few days ago. It wasn't the little plastic clip thingy that was broken, it was worse.
It needed a new clutch because the ?slave/master (I forgot already) cylinder had been leaking fluid over the clutch. I don't know much (anything) about clutches, but the bit of it that's supposed to be dry was covered in the brake fluid stuff and was eroded. The mechanic guy reckoned it had two months life on it, but I asked him to change it anyway. So after a new cylinder thing, new clutch and labour, I'm £560 less off. Oh well. I hope it doesn't happen again!!

Thanks for your help,
Sarah

(Oh yeah, if anyone is near Leicester and fancies helping me put some ambient lighting in my footwells (not in a chav-fashion), please let me know. Cups of tea included!)

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
lol, I had this exact same thing happen to me on my previous car, mk4 Golf, but on the motorway!! Was in traffic and somehow I managed to pull to the hard shoulder and stall it. Took me 7 hours to get home :(

In the end what I did was weld a piece of metal over the white plastic clip to hold it in place, worked a treat :) Never had a problem again.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
I got my car back a few days ago. It wasn't the little plastic clip thingy that was broken, it was worse.
It needed a new clutch because the ?slave/master (I forgot already) cylinder had been leaking fluid over the clutch. I don't know much (anything) about clutches, but the bit of it that's supposed to be dry was covered in the brake fluid stuff and was eroded. The mechanic guy reckoned it had two months life on it, but I asked him to change it anyway. So after a new cylinder thing, new clutch and labour, I'm £560 less off. Oh well. I hope it doesn't happen again!!

Thanks for your help,
Sarah

(Oh yeah, if anyone is near Leicester and fancies helping me put some ambient lighting in my footwells (not in a chav-fashion), please let me know. Cups of tea included!)

£560? Ouch that's a big hit especially after xmas. It will be your slave cylinder then.
What sort of ambient light are you fitting?

ando

Mar 25, 2005
homepage.eircom.net
This happened to me about a year and a half ago in the Cupra R ... on the way UP a hill. It got stuck in gear so I had to push it to the side of the road, then got it towed to a stealer. They charged me an arm and a leg and welded bits together?? The clutch has never been the same and is very stiff :(

sjr50

I know it's the wrong thread, but seeing as well I was asked in this one :) ...

Looking to fit a flexible red LED strip but don't know where to start. I've seen the threads specific to fitting ambient lighting, but I don't even know where abouts in the car I'd find the wiring to which I'd have to connect the LED lights. Most of the info I can find relates to footwell lighting which comes on when the doors are opened, but I want mine to be on when the head lights are on i.e at night.

Any ideas?

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
I know it's the wrong thread, but seeing as well I was asked in this one :) ...

Looking to fit a flexible red LED strip but don't know where to start. I've seen the threads specific to fitting ambient lighting, but I don't even know where abouts in the car I'd find the wiring to which I'd have to connect the LED lights. Most of the info I can find relates to footwell lighting which comes on when the doors are opened, but I want mine to be on when the head lights are on i.e at night.

Any ideas?
I would imagine you could wire it into the instrument illumination the same as if you were fitting a W8 light, in which case you run a wire to the back of the headlight switch and the other to an earth. That should then also allow you to dim the lights with the rest of the lighting.

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
my wife managed to get stuck with my leon a few times, she pressed the clutch down and the peddle has stuck to the floor so i thought the worst (especially the first time when the police had to push the car off the road as it was causing a blockage), when i looked at the peddle, it seemed that the pedal rubber had managed to lodge itself against a piece of plastic where the pedal depresses into the floor, also she said that she couldn't select any gear (women drivers). I grabbed the pedal and pulled it up to its normal position and the clutch worked normal again. She has managed to do this a couple of times since.

I also noticed the other day that when i was stuck in traffic, with my foot down on the clutch, the engine sounded a bit strange, it turned out that the clutch wasn't fully disengaged and when i took my foot off the clutch, it only returned half way to its normal position, so i lifted it again and it worked fine again. I think i need to take a look at the fluid levels to see if it needs filling but i can't feel any fluids in the footwell so i dont think its leaking anything.

Any ideas as to what this can be?

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
I also noticed the other day that when i was stuck in traffic, with my foot down on the clutch, the engine sounded a bit strange, it turned out that the clutch wasn't fully disengaged and when i took my foot off the clutch, it only returned half way to its normal position, so i lifted it again and it worked fine again. I think i need to take a look at the fluid levels to see if it needs filling but i can't feel any fluids in the footwell so i dont think its leaking anything.

Any ideas as to what this can be?

So the pedal only returned half way and the clutch was still partially disengaged so was slipping, you pulled the pedal up and it was ok?

Initially I thought the release bearing in the gearbox may have been sticking so not springing the clutch out fully but that wouldnt explain pulling the clutch pedal up to full and it being ok, maybe something on the pedal itself is tight or jamming up a bit?

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
the clutch pedal does squeak a bit when being depressed, i wonder if the pedal assembly is bent or something or a bush it pivots on is knackered, i think once the snow has cleared up and its a bit warmer i'll have to have a good look at it. its just a bit of an annoyance at the minute

Big Ejit

Wassamarranow?
Aug 8, 2007
Brum
Are there any warning signs before the white clip breaks? (Creaking or clicking?)

My clutch pedal starts to creak at the bottom of the travel after 20 to 30 minutes of driving in traffic. Please don't say this is what happens before it goes ping-thunk....

turbomin

Mine broke and gave no warning, only a crunching sound as it broke and i stalled it backing onto the drive. I seam welded it back together - it's now much stronger than new :)

Esc

something unfortunate to look forward to then!!! still i guess its best to be prepared!
although i have read peoples explinations of why this happens, has anyone got any pictures of these components, so i properly understand what im looking for at a quick glance?

turbomin

I will see if i can dig out a photo. Although if you contort yourself into the drivers foot well armed with a torch and follow the clutch pedal up you'll see where it meets the master cylinder push rod going forwards, this is where it fails.

The bit that breaks is behind the plastic clip so its not even easy to see if the welds have already failed alerting you that the whole lot will give way sooner or later.

turbomin

Thanks for the link, i couldn't find any pics but all looks scarily familiar!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.