Auto Gauge boost gauge. How to wire up correctly!!!!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Just a quick question to save me starting another thread.......

I have a boost gauge fitted but it only has 2 wires [obviously live and earth]

I now have a new gauge that has 3 wires-

1. permanent live
2. switched live.
3. Earth

The guage is a single colour and nothing fancy so I'm not sure why it needs a permant live?? Its one of the ones thats a blank face until you turn the ignition on then it lights up.

Am I right in thinking I can join the Permanent live and the switched live together and join them both to my current switched live? would be good for me as I already have the 2 wires in the pillar from the current gauge.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay

1. permanent live
2. switched live.
3. Earth

The guage is a single colour and nothing fancy so I'm not sure why it needs a permant live?? Its one of the ones thats a blank face until you turn the ignition on then it lights up.

Am I right in thinking I can join the Permanent live and the switched live together and join them both to my current switched live? would be good for me as I already have the 2 wires in the pillar from the current gauge.

I don't see why not as you have no colour to "remember"

J0N

Defected!

1. permanent live
2. switched live.
3. Earth

yes, join them together the same as the purple and orange on the Auto-Gauge. The reason for this is because the instrument lights on SEAT's come on when you turn on the ignition and not just when you switch the lights on, on other cars you would probably have to connect one to a switched live from the lights and the other from the ignition.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
UHHHH.... just broke my windscreeen trying to remove the windscreen wipers to do this! F*kin great.

For sale; one auto guage + pipe

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
You usually elevate the wiper and twist it until it comes off.....but its a bit late now. lol

Atleast you'll get a new window and the wipers will no longer be stuck as they'll have to take them off to fit new screen.

Moffat

Cupra R
Mar 29, 2009
Alnwick, Northumberland
I'd just like to add, incase anyone's interested, that on the 4 wire Autogauge ones, where mentioned that you need to join the Orange and Purple wires together, You dont really. It depends how you want it set up. I can't remember which way round it is, but one of these wires is the face illumination for the gauge, and the other is the illumination for only the needle. In my last car i had mine wired up so that the needle illuminated with the ignition on, then the face didnt illuminate until i put the lights on. I know the dials are always illuminated on the Leons, but i just thought i'd mention incase anyone is interested.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
yes, join them together the same as the purple and orange on the Auto-Gauge. The reason for this is because the instrument lights on SEAT's come on when you turn on the ignition and not just when you switch the lights on, on other cars you would probably have to connect one to a switched live from the lights and the other from the ignition.

I have installed it, joined them together and it works a treat...looks much better now it matches the rest of the dash lights to.

nutter_engineer

Feb 16, 2007
Altough not a wiring question, just wondering how did any of you replaced the standard tubing with a proper silicone one? Is the standard tubing up to the job or should it be replaced? In one of the other threads, it mentions the tube runs all the way into the guage so you have to run the clear tube into the silicone tube, is this so?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
The standard stuff is very thin walled, thicker stuff is better for vacuum.

No, just replace the whole tube in one go throw the clear stuff away.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.