Auto Gauge boost gauge. How to wire up correctly!!!!

adambudders

Oct 9, 2010
on the edge of reason
Sorry to bring back an old thread but have a few questions.

Had my AutoGauge Boost gauge setup and working for about 6 months it used to:
remember last selected colour
dim with light dimmer etc
generally working as expected

but recently it has:

started forgetting the last colour

when cycling through the 7 colours it will get stuck after the first repeat of the 7 colours i.e. after 8 clicks it them stops changing colour and doesn't start working again until you leave ignition off for a while occasionally it will start working after switching ignition off and on immediately.

Also the needle always sits at about -2 and always has which is annoying

I have check the fuse t the perm live and checked connections (as best i could as the wires are in crimp connectors and are now taped up to stop movement. If this likely a fault gauge or a faulty connection?

Also will halfords replace it after 6month (i do the have receipt)

cheers

should have a 12 month warranty mate. just bought one today and mine has.

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
ive got my new glow shift gauge from the usa, just reading the instruction for fitting and it states it shouldnt be used with a dimmer, what way should i wire it up then? i assume the light switch itself has the dimmer unit built in?

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Sorry for another thread resurrection, but I'm having issues with the Autogauge 3-wire boost gauge!

The gauge lights up with ignition and when the dimmer is not on full power lights up as white but wont change colour....then when I put the dimmer to full power the light turns green and will change colour briefly when i press the button on the gauge but reverts back to green and flickers constantly thereafter :S

I've wired up as below:

Black wire - brown wire in light block
Red & Orange(or Yellow) - connected together and wired to grey/blue wire in light block

Should i connect the orange wire to the fat red wire as indicated in earlier posts? I'm just unsure why the dimmer switch is interfering with the signal!

Thanks in advance guys.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Sorry for another thread resurrection, but I'm having issues with the Autogauge 3-wire boost gauge!

The gauge lights up with ignition and when the dimmer is not on full power lights up as white but wont change colour....then when I put the dimmer to full power the light turns green and will change colour briefly when i press the button on the gauge but reverts back to green and flickers constantly thereafter :S

I've wired up as below:

Black wire - brown wire in light block
Red & Orange(or Yellow) - connected together and wired to grey/blue wire in light block

Should i connect the orange wire to the fat red wire as indicated in earlier posts? I'm just unsure why the dimmer switch is interfering with the signal!

Thanks in advance guys.

BUMP!

I've re-wired as per the 3-wire guide (Red to grey/blue, Black to brown and Yellow to thick red) and the light on the gauge now dims correctly but still flickers after i've started the engine and won't hold the colour when i've selected it :shrug:

Could it just be a dodgy gauge in need of replacing? I've checked all the wiring connections and they're all solid, not sure what else it could be...

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Bumpity bump!

Anyone? Gettin hacked off with my gauge now, have checked the wiring and tried the dimmer switch on various power levels, only lets me change colour with the dimmer on full (engine not running) and flickers if the dimmer is on full once i start the engine :confused:

TheBigGM

VTEC Who????????
Jun 20, 2009
North Wales
nonstophits.co.uk
Sorry to be totally thick but where can you get the extended wires from? I'm assuming we will need like a junction box to connect these together? (this is relating to the original post by the way)

shadyshades91

Feb 12, 2012
sorry im a newbie wot does fpr stand for and i carnt find the diesel section did u mean in tht pdf or on here lol

shadyshades91

Feb 12, 2012
the big GM i would extened cable cud cause a loose in connection or cause a leak id re-wire it with the correct length of hose or wires needed i never recommend joining cable i work in a electric shop and the amount of customers that have ****ing things up with joins here there and everywhere.

stevekkk1

Jul 25, 2009
Camberley, Surrey
Bumpity bump!

Anyone? Gettin hacked off with my gauge now, have checked the wiring and tried the dimmer switch on various power levels, only lets me change colour with the dimmer on full (engine not running) and flickers if the dimmer is on full once i start the engine :confused:

if the light is flickering i would guess at a poor connection sumwhere or interference, but if you have checked you wires and connections then my guess is the gauge is faulty.

i wired my gauge in using this thread a few years ago and didnt have any problems, it did go through a stage of not staying on red after ignition off on again but that has seemed to clear itself up without me touching it

if you can exchange the gauge

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
if the light is flickering i would guess at a poor connection sumwhere or interference, but if you have checked you wires and connections then my guess is the gauge is faulty.

i wired my gauge in using this thread a few years ago and didnt have any problems, it did go through a stage of not staying on red after ignition off on again but that has seemed to clear itself up without me touching it

if you can exchange the gauge

Ah ok, I've checked the connections and even changed the cables themselves to ensure there were no splits or interference but it still reacts the same. The gauge came with the car so unfortunately I'm stuck with it :(

Cheers for the help though mate.

mcdatkyid

im a newby on here and this is a great guide! il be fitting it tomorrow.....or at least trying lol

mcdatkyid

Fitted my auto sport gauge Wednesday and it was a right mission loool!

I have the one that sits in your drivers ride side air vent. I had to drill a hole through the gromet Under the plastic cover beneath the drivers window wiperand try feed the silicon hosing through. Taking the dashboard to peices under the steering wheel finally managed it! Wiring it up was a little easier :) took it for a spin and my readings were a vac reading of 20 on idle, 0 when reving it stationaryand boosts to 18 psi giving it death!

Looks great too with the choice of colours !!

prittchauhan

could you please post a pic of where you pit the T piece in please,

just bought a auto gauge from halfords but aint got clue so i would like to se a pic of T piece fitted on the FPR

ive got a standard leon cupra 1.8t 20v facelift if im right (no the R version)

thanka

Seen lots of threads on here about wanting to know how to wire up the halfords auto gauge boost gauge. lots of people wanting to know what wire goes where so here it goes!!!:)

This is a guide on the correct way to fit/wire it up so you get it to light up and save the setting you last had it on, This does work as its the way i wired it up to my car and it works how it should.

1. Get some silicone 4mm inner diameter pipe about 3 metres worth.
2. T it from the FPR.
3. Drill hole in the grommet hole next to the main wiring loom under the scuttle panel but dont push the drill in too deep pearce your way through the foam with a screwdriver carefully
4. Push pipe trough hole and retrieve from the inside ( this takes alot of time and patience!!!) put a big blob of silicone around the pipe going into the car.
5. feed it up to your pillar pod and push into gauge.

Wiring THE CORRECT WAY.

Obviously extend all the wires from the gauge!!

6. join the black gauge wire (earth) to the brown wire on the light switch block
7. Join the purple and orange gauge wire(switched live) together and then join it to the grey wire with blue tracer on on switch block
8. join the yellow gauge wire (positive) to the fat red wire on the light switch block.

The gauge will light up when you put the ignition on. It will also dim when you use the dimmer.:)

The gauge readings (for a standard map 225) were 14 psi or 1 bar peak and 20 inhg

Hope this helps and clears things up for people?:D

Comments as usual are welcome?!

Any idea what gauge should be reading on a .cupra 1.8T 2002 AUQ engine,only mod Forge 007P Valve & Green cotton Panel filter ?
Reply would be great.
THanks
Calum

joshbennett

My readings are 20 psi vac at idle. Rev the engine and it is around 0 psi. Go out for a spin and it hits 12 ish psi. that seems low?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.