how do i get tv on my blaupunkt stereo?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Oh, by the way, I found out that apparently the Sega Saturn games console uses exactly the same mini-DIN cable as the VW MFD and Seat Navigation System for the video/audio input. Just in case anyone was after a cheap one (they're about a tenner on eBay) with less of the soldering and messing about.

You star! :D seven squid on fleabay for a fully wired lead, nice one!

As for the firmware, I'll take a look at mine when I get back to the car. If it does start looking like your unit has out of date firmware, then it might be worth heading over to http://vwnavi.com/forum.php. They seem to have a bit of info about upgrading firmware. I don't know the process, and there is a possibility that if you succeed you might be greeted with a VW badge instead of a SEAT one, but it's worth a look.

russ0r

You star! :D seven squid on fleabay for a fully wired lead, nice one!

Hehe, wish I found it myself instead of paying 15 quid for half the cable! Just make sure you get a composite one ;)
As for the firmware, I'll take a look at mine when I get back to the car. If it does start looking like your unit has out of date firmware, then it might be worth heading over to http://vwnavi.com/forum.php. They seem to have a bit of info about upgrading firmware. I don't know the process, and there is a possibility that if you succeed you might be greeted with a VW badge instead of a SEAT one, but it's worth a look.

I had a look on vwnavi.com a while back. The MFD forum has very little activity these days, and I haven't been able to find a comprehensive guide on updating the firmware in English. I don't want to end up bricking my HU because of some poor instructions.
I'll carry on looking though, cheers.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Well, I don't think it's your firmware. I've just had a look with the instructions from that PDF, and my unit's firmware is from July 5th 1999. So according to that document, I should be well and truly screwed!

russ0r

Well, I don't think it's your firmware. I've just had a look with the instructions from that PDF, and my unit's firmware is from July 5th 1999. So according to that document, I should be well and truly screwed!

Thank god for that!
I must have wired it up wrong then! If you could check what pins are doing what on your cable when you get home tomorrow, that'd be grand!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Ok, I've given it a blast with the multimeter. In terms of voltage, the only pin that currently has twelve volts is the vid-on pin. It is also the only pin connected to the pink wire. Interestingly, there are no connections to ground anywhere!

It's definitely that pin though, with the unit switched on and the plug off the option disappears, and when I plugged it back in the option appeared.

Hopefully I'll be getting my Sega Saturn lead in the next week or so, so I can try wiring up a fresh connection and see if anything changes.

russ0r

Ok, I've given it a blast with the multimeter. In terms of voltage, the only pin that currently has twelve volts is the vid-on pin. It is also the only pin connected to the pink wire. Interestingly, there are no connections to ground anywhere!

It's definitely that pin though, with the unit switched on and the plug off the option disappears, and when I plugged it back in the option appeared.

Hopefully I'll be getting my Sega Saturn lead in the next week or so, so I can try wiring up a fresh connection and see if anything changes.

If you plug just the cable in, no audio connection, does the option still appear?
I'm just wondering if I need some audio to be sent through the cable before the option pops up.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The option appears before you connect the audio. My original setup was the lead wired direct to a length of wire and a 3.5mm jack to go into my MP3 player. It was perfectly happy to be selectable when there was nothing connected to the jack.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Nope, not had a chance, I've been working silly hours and regular sleep patterns have been a distant memory.

The lead has arrived though, I've buzzed it out and it appears that the one I got wasn't fully connected, even though it has all the pins on both ends. The main ones that are missing are the audio connections and the sync pin, so I'm going to have to slice the connector open and complete the job.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Latest update:

I've stripped the cable, and now have a mini din connector ready to wire up. I'm going to wire it up to a 15 way VGA connector and a 3.5mm audio connector as appropriate. The ELM327 lead has also arrived, but I didn't get back 'til late tonight so I've not had a chance to plug it in and give it a go.

Unfortunately I may have a problem. Powerstrip (the TV resolution thingy) doesn't like Intel graphics chips, and surprise surprise, my laptop runs an Intel graphics chip. So while I may have a suitable lead made up soon, I don't think I have a suitable source.

2 steps forward, 1 step back...

russ0r

any update on this. i am strapped for cash at the moment. trying to get a mortage is a joke at 23.:cry::cry::cry:

Afraid I gave up :( No matter how much messing about I did I couldn't persuade my stereo to work with the cable. Unfortunately there isn't exactly a plethora of information available on these things either, so I hit a dead end.
I've got my eye on a new stereo for Christmas, anyway.

2003v5

Hi im not understanding this so can someone help, do i need something else other than the head unit for the tv to work?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
To summarise, there are basically two things needed to get TV working. The first is a signal wire coming into the mini DIN plug that tells the head unit there is a signal there and activates the menu option. This is covered by the lead you buy off Ebay.

The second is some method of disabling the Gala signal, so the TV stays on while you're driving. I just cut the wire! Of course, if you're not bothered about having it on while you're driving then you only need the first one.

Once it's active, then you need to get some sort of source to actually play on the TV, and that's where I am at the moment.

2003v5

would it be possible to somehow link a freeview box to it? not sure how but in theory would it work.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
would it be possible to somehow link a freeview box to it? not sure how but in theory would it work.

Freeview? Really? I didn't even realise there was enough stuff worth watching on freeview! :D

I guess in theory it would work, probably the best option would be one of those ones that plug straight into the SCART socket? The only problem is that the screen needs a specific resolution and refresh rate, I was going to use a mini PC with appropriate software control. Of course, the first test would be to get any sort of image on the screen!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
OK, I'm giving myself a kick up the butt to get this done. The AV connector into the head unit is ridiculously tiny for the amount of pins in it, and it turns out my lead wasn't 100% wired, there were still a few pins that were blank. So I've had to strip it down to nothing and I'm starting from scratch.

I've ordered a few metres of kynar wire, the really thin stuff used for console modding so hopefully I should be able to get that on to the pins as required. So as long as my eyesight holds out I should have it wired up soon. I'll then cross my fingers and apply a video signal...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.