Lowering springs

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
The time has come to lower my car. It really is the one thing that lets it down looks wise.

I'm thinking roughly a 30mm drop, but was interested what other people have done, did a quick search and a few threads came up, but nothing where people actually posted a pic and stated what drop they had.

I don't want to go down the coilover route for several reasons, firstly I don't want to go too low, secondly I don't need all the adjustment that coilovers offer and thirdly price, I'm on a bit of a budget, but at the same time I don't want to fit cheap springs if they'll ruin the handling.

I've also had a good read of this thread, and decided that lowering springs will do exactly what I want.

Budget wise I'm thinking £200 max and from looking on the forum Eibach and H&R seem to be decent. Basically all i want is to make the car look better, while maintaining or improving upon the ride quality. Don't want to turn the car into a bone shaker, it has enough rattles as it is!!!!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

May 6, 2011
stoke on trent
im planning on doing the same to mine mate 30mm drop, my mates doing mine for me in his garage and hes rang around got a few prices and details about the springs, he told me the eibach are the best springs to go with as there good quality spring and wont change the ride quality that much, he could get the springs for me £160 so hopefully next month ill have mine lowered :) good luck with yours mate :)

addyb182

I lowered mine 35mm on apex springs.
Before1.jpg
[/IMG]

After
Lowered.jpg

sorry about the quality the pics are from my blackberry.:D

addyb182

The handling is amazing so much better.

The ride is harder but its not that bad worse at low speeds.

Andy_FR

Sep 23, 2008
North East
I have mine on 35mm apex also

4e92a38d-7781-0878.jpg

That's the back up close

4e92a38d-77b1-030f.jpg

The ride I find is quite harsh, doesn't really bother me but some passengers have commented. I fitted them myself and got the springs for £90 off camskill.

Jul 6, 2010
Northern Ireland
exactly the thread ive been looking for guys.... Getting the springs ordered this week im possibly considering going 40mm but maybe stick withthe 35mm

can someone in-lighten me as i am kind of a newbie when it comes to anything apart from electric's

What are spacers as i have heard a few people on here talk about them and can anyone give pictures?

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
You would mainly use them on a brake upgrade to clear the calipers or if you want the wheels to stick out a little more.

addyb182

Andy i did mine myself to found the back really easy but the front was abit of hassle. got my springs for £100.

craigmk6

Mar 6, 2010
leeds
i have a 5 door 1.6tdi and ordered some eibach springs from dcperformance.

hopefuly they will be here by the weekend and i can get em fitted.

ill update you with pics and my opinion on them.

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
I'm sure some pics all look the same, 35mm look the same as 25mm. The gap i mean, does anyone else know what i mean? lol

Sorgrim, youres looks good on 25mm.

GazEP3

Missing the vtec yo :(
Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
Go for Eibachs mate, the last H&R's I got were absolute **** and ruined the handling, and yes they were fitted correctly and the suspension geometry corrected after fitting. Just too harsh

AwesomeAl

Sales @ Awesome
Sep 17, 2008
NorthWest
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
Just fitted a set of the Eibach springs to a friend's 1.6TDI.
Unfortunately didn't get a chance to take any pictures so don't have much to show. However I'd be more than happy to sort you a set out for £142 all in!

Regards, Al.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members