Lowering springs

JCH

Oct 18, 2017
I just fitted the KW 35mm spring kit and I think it is a great balance of looking lower and good ride, my housemates didnt realise id changed the springs when in the car and the ride is pretty much the same as before hand, was very surprised! looks so much better with the back lower!
would you be able to link me your kw springs, thanks :)

Cupra 197

Nov 2, 2018
Sheffield
Oreyt Damian what would u recommend spring wise for seat cupra 1.8 tsi looking for around 30-35mm front maybe around 40 back or should I just get a kit

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
One thing I've never understood about lowering springs. Most of the ones I've seen lower the car more at the back than at the front. Out of the box, cars sit higher at the back and your typical boy racer objects to this and wants the car to sit flat, so most spring kits are aimed at achieving that.

But the thing is that most boy racers are idiots! There is a reason the car sits higher at the back. Shock horror, car manufacturers have thought about this. If you make cars that way, they look right at all times. Forget about when there are people in the back, just driving along will put torsional force into the car which will pull the back down but because it's higher at rest the car still looks fine.

Unlike your typical boy-racer buggy. They look at their nice, flat car parked at the side of the road and think it looks the dogs but don't realise it looks broken when it's in motion. With their mates in the back it looks like a guinea pig wiping its backside!

Apr 7, 2020
Damien, I've got a 2017 Ibiza 1.2tsi FR. What springs should I go for, I want the best ride quality with a bit of lowering. But I'm not sure if the Eibach's will lower much as it's and FR?

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Apr 7, 2020
You'll only see approximately 15mm lowering from the Eibach Pro springs so something like the ST by KW may be a better option - https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ca...ingsibiza-6j-20082017-12tsi-12tdi-14-14tdi-16

Another popular choice is the H&R kit - https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ca...sibiza-6j-20082017-12-12tsi-12tdi-14-14tsi-16

Damian @ DPM Performance
Thanks Damien, it's the two I was expecting! The H&R's were a consideration, but after reading how bad they make the ride after, I've been put off!
How much of a drop do you think I'll see on the KW springs? Do you know if they're an okay ride?

Thanks for the help!

Migi

Feb 20, 2015
Had 2 different lowering springs so far on my Cupra.

First had the VW-Racingline springs (front -30mm and rear -35mm) the ride quality was very good and their were suprisingly smooth and good at cornering. Had to change them due to missing TUV certificate/Certificate they fit the car (bad service at racingline as they did not even have the decency to answer my enquiry) so I could get my car Yearly Inspection done.

So I changed to H&R springs (front -35mm rear -40mm). The stance is better and the car looks better. Ride quality is harder, but they take in bumps better than the racingline ones. Cornering is a little better and dynamic.

I have the Racingline springs in storage (driven around 5000km) if anybody is interested

Apr 7, 2020
Had 2 different lowering springs so far on my Cupra.

First had the VW-Racingline springs (front -30mm and rear -35mm) the ride quality was very good and their were suprisingly smooth and good at cornering. Had to change them due to missing TUV certificate/Certificate they fit the car (bad service at racingline as they did not even have the decency to answer my enquiry) so I could get my car Yearly Inspection done.

So I changed to H&R springs (front -35mm rear -40mm). The stance is better and the car looks better. Ride quality is harder, but they take in bumps better than the racingline ones. Cornering is a little better and dynamic.

I have the Racingline springs in storage (driven around 5000km) if anybody is interested
Thanks for the info. Very helpful!

How do you mean the racing line were missing the TUV certificate? They were just never fully approved?
I would potentially be interested, but not sure if they would fit for my 1.2 tsi FR 6J though.

Thanks

Apr 7, 2020
Thanks Damien, I'll probably go with the ST. I've not used DPM performance before, I've heard there's a 5% discount for new orders, is this the case? Is there anything you can give to a forum member?
Thanks!

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Thanks Damien, I'll probably go with the ST. I've not used DPM performance before, I've heard there's a 5% discount for new orders, is this the case? Is there anything you can give to a forum member?
Thanks!

I'm sure we can do something for you, drop us a PM and we'll get it sorted out.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Migi

Feb 20, 2015
Thanks for the info. Very helpful!

How do you mean the racing line were missing the TUV certificate? They were just never fully approved?
I would potentially be interested, but not sure if they would fit for my 1.2 tsi FR 6J though.

Thanks

They should fit the 1.2 tsi but not entirely sure.

They dont have the Tüv type approval at all I think. Its required here in Finland for suspension changes

Aug 31, 2019
North Somerset
Thanks!

Did you go for them in the end? I'm looking to fit some lowering springs onto my 1.4 TSI ACT FR 6J

Thanks

Apr 7, 2020
Did you go for them in the end? I'm looking to fit some lowering springs onto my 1.4 TSI ACT FR 6J

Thanks

Sorry, only just seen this!
Yes I did, they look good and ride is pretty comfortable but did take a while to come tbh!

Picture to show height. This was for a 2017 1.2tsi FR. It's on 17' alloys. Don't have a before and after unfortunately!

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_182104~2.jpg
    IMG_20200509_182104~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
Reactions: SamT298
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.